backache and digging

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• backache and digging

I always suffer from bachache when digging but with a polytunnel over turf I thought it through and realised that it was the spade. At 6' 3" I need a big (long) spade. That is when I read a review of the Wilkinson Sword extending spade - it's telescopic and what a difference to dig with. - well worth the £30 (incl delivery)

The only reason spade handles used to be so short was because in medieval times peasants were allowed one ell of wood for their own use - so a spade handle was one ell, regardless of user's height ! And then of course, over the centuries people started to grow taller....
    I bought an exceptionally long handled stainless steel spade, and a matching fork, from Lidl's recently, and although I don't think they are up to very heavy duty usage due to the quality of handle, they are noticeably easier on the back. At £7.99 each, not nearly the quality of Wilkinson's Sword, but beggars can't be choosers, and if needs be I can always rehandle them if the handles do give way.
    There's no point reading history if you don't use the lessons it teaches.

Head-hunted member of the Nutter's Club - can I get my cranium back please ?

Comment

Yeoman are doing the American style spades, well worth a look.

regards cf

Comment

I can recommend these, the best spade I've ever had. Got mine from B&Q in Inverness for about £20.

Dwell simply ~ love richly

Comment

I've looked at these CG, I'm only 5'11" but as I've had trapped nerves twice I think I should get a longer job. I wondered if the shaft would be a weak point as it was telescopic?

The other things I've looked at are :-

1. CHillington hoe types (Azadas I think the generic term is)
          2. 2nd hand Terrex spade which I know one or two people have & swear by.

for now I struggle on manfully
          ntg
          Never be afraid to try something new.
          Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
          A large group of professionals built the Titanic
          ==================================================

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X