Dog urine versus lawns

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dog urine versus lawns

I have just seen an ad. for something called 'Dog Rocks' an Australian product which is made from igneous rock minerals & if added to your dog's water is supposed to reduce the scorching left on lawns when they wee on it.I have heard of adding tomato juice or tomato ketchup to your dog's food to help this but have not heard of this product- does anyone know if it works? We don't have a dog anymore but when we had Tess our lovely boxer she destroyed our small lawn by using it as a toilet & after she died I just dug it up & replaced it with gravel & a veg.patch.
    Into every life a little rain must fall.

Not heard of it SueA, but do know that bitch urine does kill lawns or at least leaves yellow patches all over the place. Strangely male dog urine doesn't do that.

Wonder if the wonder rock is a sulphur base - we use to put flowers of sulphur in the dogs drinking water when we lived in Botswana to keep the dog's blood cool in the heat. The only problem was their wind was a bit like rotten eggs!

Comment

Interested to know if anyone knows of a good solution - our new puppy, now 11 months old, is really beginning to destroy the lawn. Never seems to want to have a pee during our walk, just holds on till she gets home!
      ~
      Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
      ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

Bitches like to go to the loo in the same place I have found. My year old bitch will annoint any dog 'patches' she finds, but will only let her bowels move at home - in exactly the same place each time! Needless to say nothing is growing in that corner. This is not something I have taught her, she just did it naturally.

It could be that your pup is so keen on everything that is going on around and about that she forgets to do what she needs to do while she is out.

Might be worth while (if you have the time and not working) to take her our for three short ten minutes walk every day, on lead on exactly the same route. Evenutally it will be so hum she should start to do what is necessary. Worth a try!

If you use the same command (I use 'go busy' ) each time she spends a penny or twopence at home, she will eventually start relieving herself on command. Of course this means that you have to stand around until she does what she needs to do! Daunting in all of this rain!

Any chance of some pics?

Comment

Thanks for that Squirrel. Our last dog (bitch) never went in the garden, so the grass has always been great (or as great as its going to be up here).

Pictures - now thats a problem, she moves so bloomin fast I haven't managed to get one of her yet! She will sit and stay very nicely, until I get the camera out.
          ~
          Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
          ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

Have the same problem - point a camera at any of my animals and they all turn their heads as far round as possible to get away! Even the chickens present their bottoms when I try and take a picture! Need to start a picture gallery for animal bottoms or something!

Comment

my mums done the 'adding ketcup to the food' thing recently and reckons its made a difference
              smiling is infectious....

http://www.thehudsonallotment.blogspot.com/ updated 28th May 2008

Comment

not tried ketchup! Must give it a go!

Comment

Is my dog (bitch) the only one in the country who doesn't leave yellow patches? She isn't fussy about where she goes though, so many the lawn doesn't get hammered too much.

Comment

ive got 3 dogs, 2 of whom are quite dominant so the boy pees on something first, then one of the girls pees on it,then the boy, then the girl and this can go on for some time. let me assure you that boy wee kills the plants just as succesfully as girl wee! we've lost a few plants that became pee posts.

Comment

Aaah just goes to show! Come up with a scientific fact and the next dog will prove you wrong!

Comment

ahh but for some reason, my jack russle pees all the time so does little and often all over the shop and the other 2 hold it in for ages and do huge waterfalls thus killing the plants.
                        what happens when dogs take turns peeing on same spot
                        boy wee place
                        note nicely burned plant although i think it might be a weed anyway
                        random girl wee
                        and yes, if you were wandering...i do have a fair bit of time on my hands...

Comment

that has just made my day! Well done Leona!

Comment

the perpetraitors (sp?)

the hairy black and white thing is the one that kills all the plants!

Comment

Lovely Leona! Thanks
                              ~
                              ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X