Grow bags

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grow bags

Anyone got any recommendations for grow bags??
    The ones I usually get in b and q look as if they’ve been rebranded (red plastic bags) - a 55 litre bag is now just under six quid.
    B and Q’s own brand are half the volume for two quid, but look too small - will need continual watering!
    Going to make my miserly crop of tomatoes work out expensive if I go for six quid grow bags!!
    Any suggestions gratefully received,

Maybe by a 120L B&Q MPC bag, and then fill your own grow-bags from that ?

Comment

I don't use growbags - I use Ikea bags and bags for life that I put three layers into.... first home made compost, rough as it comes.. then well rotted manure, then compost on top. The bigger bags the better to even out watering and avoid blossom end rot and splitting.

Good luck, whichever way you go!
      https://nodigadventures.blogspot.com/

Comment

B &Q orange buckets?

If I grow toms other than in the GH borders I use flower buckets - per bucket. I'm not keen in bags as once they are full you can't move them around.
        Last edited by Scarlet; 23-04-2019, 06:24 PM.

Comment

The cost of growbags and problem watering them is why I've started grafting tomato plants so I can plant them in the greenhouse border and them to be not too affected by disease. Got my best crop ever last year (the weather may have had something to do with that). This year I grafted about 35 and just 3 have failed. Will be planting them out in next week or 2. Last year I did 20 plants and had 2 vines growing from each, will probably do the same. Ł9.05 for the packet of seeds. A covered heated propagator is ideal for the job.

Comment

I grow in ring culture - basically, flower buckets with the bottoms cut off, resting on a bed of old compost.
            I fill the buckets with grow bag compost and can fill 3-4 buckets from one standard bag.

When I tried growing in bags I found them too difficult to water and 3 plants in a bag was too cramped; 2 plants to a bag was too expensive.

As for which bags to buy, whatever's cheapest - my guide price is 5p a litre max. Since the toms will be fed regularly once they're fruiting, I'm not too concerned about the quality.

Comment

Don't grow many toms now..but agree with the pot or bucket approach. Toms don't need huge amounts of compost, as VC suggests regular feeding is important when fruiting

Comment

I use the B and Q buckets with Hortons multi purpose compost.

And when your back stops aching,
                And your hands begin to harden.
                You will find yourself a partner,
                In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Thanks to all of you for the suggestions.
                  I’m “picking and choosing” bits from all your advice.
                  Going to go with b and q orange buckets, a layer of well rotted manure and B and Q multi purpose compost.
                  Good job it’s Wednesday (Oldies Day) - I’m off to B and Q when the rain starts!!!!
                  Thank you one and all

Comment

Very intrigued by this Mark
                    Too late for this year I suspect????
                    But definitely worth investigating for next year.
                    I’ve got a covered heated propagator - any recommendations for the seed?

Comment

I have inherited a greenhouse on my new plot which has paving flags for a floor. In the past I have always grown my toms in the bed soil because of watering issues i.e sometimes I have to miss a couple of days and the plants have less chance of drying out.
                      I know carpet is usually a no-no on allotments but I have some offcuts which I may lie on the paving slabs in the greenhouse to act as a water 'sump' for my potted tomatoes. It may work, or it may not but I'll give it a try anyway.
                      Other plot holders will either think I am very powsh or just a lunatic for carpeting my greenhouse!
                      My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

If you are using buckets check with neighbors etc for swaps for broken ones in return for one of your new ones - you'll need holes in them anyway to let the water drain away, so a crack is no problem :-)

Comment

Better still, have their old ones and let them buy new ones

Comment

Originally posted by nickdub View Post
                            If you are using buckets check with neighbors etc for swaps for broken ones in return for one of your new ones - you'll need holes in them anyway to let the water drain away, so a crack is no problem :-)
                            Good point - didn’t think about needing drainage holes!

Comment

Places where building is happening are often good for broken buckets etc - keep an eye out for skips - I've scored 3 cracked black buckets, a bright pink trug with a broken handle and several 20 L empty paint buckets in the last year :-)

Plants are fussy as to the look of the container they grow in, and besides being mean I hate how much we throw away these days.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X