X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Compost advice

Hi all

Need a bit of advice.

I’ve got a small plot - back garden that’s all paving slabs apart from a small part which I’ve turned to growing.

There’s now room for a compost heap as I want to maximise my growing.

I’ve took to putting it in a local authority wheelie bin and situated this in full sun - it’s black.

I don’t have the space for this to go on the plot and be directly on soil as the plot is too small.

Has anyone got any words of wisdom for me?
    I currently mix shredded paper, veg peelings and coffee and tea leaves, egg shells and anything green from my veg plot and small twigs etc.

I want to make sure it breaks down - would some well rotted manure help at all?

Thanks in advance.

Comment

I've got a slightly similar set-up for kitchen waste

A few things to consider, which may or my not be relevant to you :-

1) you need some 1/2" holes in the bottom to let any water out - if this weakens the structure too much you might want to chuck a piece of something inside like poly-carbonate to add a bit of strength
      2) no need to have contact with the ground just put in a shovel of garden soil with other stuff to add worms
      3) the sides may struggle with the weight when filling up - something like wire tied round to strengthen it ?
      4) give a bit of thought to how you empty it - I use two barrels so I can let one decompose fully well the other is getting new stuff - maybe put it on a bank so at least you can tip it over downhill ?
      5 ) Don't make it easy for rats to move in
      6) you could include manure but I wouldn't bother and just use that direct on the border - human urine is a good activator and free :-)
      7) stuff like screwed up papre or card is good because it helps air in to the mix - but not glossy stuff or plastic-coated.

Comment

Thanks for the response. I’ve drilled some
        Holes in the bottoms. I also chuck in any worms that I find from diggin about in the garden. I’ve added some egg boxers to add air

Comment

Sounds like a workable system is evolving - good luck and happy gardening :-)

Comment

i'm starting to empty my copost bins and darleks ,what iv'e been doing dumpping all the real old stuff in a bath and stiring it up with my tiller , it looks fairly good stuff but I dont think its got hot enough to kill the weed seeds owt thats not rotted down will be the start of another heap ! it's going in the trenches out doors for my tomato crop. atb Dal.

Comment

What about using a plastic barrel with no air holes in the bottom but covered at the top. What’s the fors and against of doing that?

Kind Regards.............Rob

Comment

Originally posted by Dynamite View Post
                What about using a plastic barrel with no air holes in the bottom but covered at the top. What’s the fors and against of doing that?

I've not tried it that way - mine has a lid which doesn't fit too well, so some rain gets in, therefor I need holes to make sure it doesn't get too wet.

Comment

Originally posted by nickdub View Post
                  I've not tried it that way - mine has a lid which doesn't fit too well, so some rain gets in, therefor I need holes to make sure it doesn't get too wet.
                  If it had a lid to stop rain but wasn’t air tight, what do you reckon? Would it be ok without holes?

Comment

Without holes it could easily go anaerobic which can stink.

Try filling a binbag with grass clippings and tie off the neck. Leave it somewhere sunny for a few weeks then come back, open and inhale.

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
                    ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
                    ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

Originally posted by Baldy View Post
                      Blast your eyes VC
                      Blast your eyes...

btw the drain pipe oxygen thing was massive fail and I'm back to daleks...they may not manage stairs but I seem to be able to do compost in 'em

oh dear https://youtu.be/3_cJ9BlMCw8
                      I've been thinking of this very same thing and for the same reasons as what you mentioned from another post.
                      Does the drain pipe oxygen thing not work?
                      How come, what went wrong i wonder?
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Jay-ell View Post
                        Without holes it could easily go anaerobic which can stink.

Try filling a binbag with grass clippings and tie off the neck. Leave it somewhere sunny for a few weeks then come back, open and inhale.
                        Not bothered about smell. If it works, might give it a go that’s all.

Comment

Well I think I might try the plastic barrel, no holes. See what happens, nothing to lose I suppose.

Comment

I've enjoyed reading this thread.. a few weeks back we heaped the contents of our 6x12 compost bay to one end and temporarily sectioned it off with an old fire door. The old stuff's still a bit toothy and not quite ready to use yet and the new side's building steadily and getting very hot.
                            Recent heavy rain is flushing brown liquid from the heap that I've been using as liquid feed.

Click image for larger version

Name:	6x12--1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	196.4 KB
ID:	2385448

Click image for larger version

Name:	6x12--2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	194.8 KB
ID:	2385449
                            Location ... Nottingham

Comment