No announcement yet.

Compost Corner!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I do notice that a full bin that's been full for months, if emptied and refilled with a good mix up and a few things added, will go down to half full in a couple of weeks. So turning is the thing, really.

I don't put glass clippings in mind - they're too valuable as a mulch for nitrogen hungry plants. Green gold! *looks avaricious*

Comment

Couple of points which may have been mentioned, but if so I haven't noticed them. :-

1) If your material is dry it will need to be wetted - either give it a bit of a soak before adding it or tip a bit of water on directly
      2) too much water is a bad thing, so heaps out in the open which aren't in daleks or similar need some sort of roof/cover
      3) keeping the heat generated in can be helped by covering with an old piece of carpet or similar.
      4) urine is a good free activator :-)
      Last edited by nickdub; 16-04-2018, 01:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by nickdub View Post
        4) urine is a good free activator :-)
        That's my Liquid Gold

Soon I will be adding comfrey in the layer system another fantastic activator, and in the winter I make a hole in the centre of the Dalek and around the outside and fill them up with coffee grounds to kick start the process again and warm the Daleks up again.
        Last edited by Cadalot; 16-04-2018, 02:16 PM.
        sigpic
        . .......Man Vs Slug
        Click Here for my Diary and Blog
        Nutters Club Member

Comment

I've noticed one chap on the plot (an engineer Cadders ) has drilled extra ventilation holes in his daleks.
          Now, I'm putting this down to him being an engineer - but he's doing it for the extra air getting into the mix and helping the breakdown processes.
          Discuss.
          sigpic
          1574 gin and tonics please Monica, large ones.

Comment

I have all types and shapes of Dalek

Click image for larger version

Name:	Dalek Army.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	2377280

There are two Daleks making a third in the picture if you look closely!

I like having a mixture of ones with the access panel and without although the opening can become brittle or deformed and the doors don't always last or can blow away if not fixed properly

The blue containers are there to hold down the lids as my second allotment site is very windy but they do make the Dalek more Dr Who Dalek looking.

Name:	Dalek Dalek.jpg
Size:	13.3 KB
ID:	2377285

Name:	Daleks - Mill Green.jpg
Size:	111.1 KB
ID:	2377281

I now have three Daleks Like No 3 and I like these as they don't have the access door and are robust with good tight fitting lids. Dalek 4 has three slots back and front and weeds like to grow out of the one at the back once the dalek is full.

Name:	Dalek - Square.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	18.8 KB
ID:	2377282

I really Like this square one and as you can see it has ventilation slots in it, If I could get more like this off Freecycle I would, I found them for sale at £113 Reduced from £120 so I will just keep my eye out on Freecycle for another. This is the photo off Freecycle and the square one can be seen at the top of this posting in the middle. I used this one for leafs and it did a cracking job.

Name:	Dalek Double.jpg
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	2377283

I now have two double Daleks like the one on the right in the photo above. They take a lot of filling and I must admit that I put so many acidic Cooking Apples in there that I felt quite drunk off the fumes when they were composting down. I'm not quite sure what to use the compost from this bin for as it is going to be quite acidic any suggestions?

All my Daleks came via Freecycle or were given to me.
            Last edited by Cadalot; 16-04-2018, 03:49 PM.
            sigpic
            . .......Man Vs Slug
            Nutters Club Member

Comment

I hope you have some emergency stairs nearby, then if the alien invasion starts and you begin to hear the ominous "Exterminate" calls, you can probably use them to get a head start.

"I'm not quite sure what to use the compost from this bin for as it is going to be quite acidic any suggestions? "

most soft fruit prefers an acid soil environment...

Comment

^^Cadalot, I've got one of those square daleks that you show with the bottom door open (last but one photo). It came from Lidl, so might be worth keeping an eye out there too if you don't mind spending money. I don't know how much it cost - a gift from Mr Snoop, who knows the way to my heart, evidently - but nowhere near as much as you quote.

Comment

Originally posted by nickdub View Post
                  I hope you have some emergency stairs nearby, then if the alien invasion starts and you begin to hear the ominous "Exterminate" calls, you can probably use them to get a head start.
                  Nick - compost bin technology has moved on I'm afraid:
                  https://youtu.be/3_cJ9BlMCw8

I believe I have a new 'project' to look into - making my daleks even more dalekey...
                  sigpic
                  1574 gin and tonics please Monica, large ones.

Comment

can't watch anything scary at the mo - no convenient sofa to take refuge behind. :-)

Comment

I have noted a few comments on this thread and elsewhere which advise not to include citrus fruits and onion peelings in your compost bin. I would imagine in most instances that is good advice, but I wanted to share my experience.

As a new alotmenteer I followed this advice when starting my compost bins, and after 6 months I was getting worried as there were no signs of worms in my compost bins. I started to introduce both citrus fruit peel and onion skins into one bin, and within a week the worms moved in! I live in the Chiltern Hills where my soil is full of chalk, so I have come to the conclusion that the soil is very alkaline (not ph tested it) and the introduction of acidic citrus fruit and onions has brought the ph down to a more neutral level, or certainly to a level that the worms feel comfortable living in?

A good source of brown material is the insides of toilet rolls and kitchen rolls. I've got the whole office saving me theirs from the kitchens in the office building and bringing them in from home. Only trouble is they're a pain to tear up into smaller pieces for the compost bins.

Comment

The potting compost I bought this year absolutely reeks of onions. I'm storing it in my dining room, and it's pretty unpleasant. For a while, I thought it was my wormery, but that smells fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Super Sprout View Post
                          A good source of brown material is the insides of toilet rolls and kitchen rolls. I've got the whole office saving me theirs from the kitchens in the office building and bringing them in from home. Only trouble is they're a pain to tear up into smaller pieces for the compost bins.
                          So what you do is cut the loo roll with a pair of scissors to make a rectangle of cardboard and pass it through the paper shredded, job done!

Name:	Loo Roll 01.jpg
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	2377294

Name:	Loo Roll 02.jpg
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	2377295

Name:	Loo Roll 03.jpg
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	2377296

The smaller you make it the better the critters and microbes can get at it to make the magic happen.
                          Last edited by Cadalot; 16-04-2018, 07:37 PM.
                          sigpic
                          . .......Man Vs Slug
                          Nutters Club Member

Comment

Originally posted by Super Sprout View Post
                            I have noted a few comments on this thread and elsewhere which advise not to include citrus fruits and onion peelings in your compost bin. I would imagine in most instances that is good advice, but I wanted to share my experience.

As a new alotmenteer I followed this advice when starting my compost bins, and after 6 months I was getting worried as there were no signs of worms in my compost bins. I started to introduce both citrus fruit peel and onion skins into one bin, and within a week the worms moved in! I live in the Chiltern Hills where my soil is full of chalk, so I have come to the conclusion that the soil is very alkaline (not ph tested it) and the introduction of acidic citrus fruit and onions has brought the ph down to a more neutral level, or certainly to a level that the worms feel comfortable living in?

Soak them in water then they tear quite easily
                            it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

Originally posted by Baldy View Post
                              I believe I have a new 'project' to look into - making my daleks even more dalekey...
                              Balders here is one to beat

Name:	Dalek Composter Dalek.jpg
Size:	20.8 KB
ID:	2377305

Take a look at https://ethanjmanley.wordpress.com/2...2/dalek-build/
                              Last edited by Cadalot; 16-04-2018, 10:22 PM.
                              sigpic
                              . .......Man Vs Slug
                              Nutters Club Member

Comment

Lugged my first lawn clippings of the year to the allotment compost heap. Also threw in some kitchen bits. Covered with drier stuff. I think there is a bit of nice stuff in the very bottom of the rotting wood corral, so I am going to endeavor to liberate some in the coming days. I expect I may return with cooking grass clippings and apple cores stuck in my hair.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X