Nettle Compost

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nettle Compost

I've got loads of nettles after cutting down a huge clump of them. I've got far too many for nettle brew and enough to fill a compost bin. Can I compost the lot (adding cardboard to balance it) or will it be a bad idea?
    http://plot62.blogspot.com/

I should think the leaves would be good Matt but the stems always seem rather woody to me and probably take ages to rot down.
    ~
    Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
    ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

Should be fine. Chop up woody stems, though, they will rot down a lot quicker then and will help to keep the heap aerated.

Comment

Never tried it, but once they've wilted I suppose you could use them as water retaining mulch around tatties etc!
        My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

how long would you have to leave it? dont nettles come back from the dead? we burn ours. let us know how it goes.
          Yo an' Bob
          Walk lightly on the earth
          take only what you need
          give all you can
          and your produce will be bountifull

Comment

I always add them to my heap as an activator...they've never taken root so far to date
            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

really? might give it a go then!
              Yo an' Bob
              Walk lightly on the earth
              take only what you need
              give all you can
              and your produce will be bountifull

Comment

Great news thanks for the help. Everything is all chopped nice and fine because I used a mower on it. Likelyhood is it will all grow back in a month or so and I'll be at square one but fingers crossed the compost will be on its way!
                http://plot62.blogspot.com/

Comment

Nettles as a fertiliser as well diluted according to books and this months GYO

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X