Advice needed on home made compost

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice needed on home made compost

I'm a fairly novice gardener, and could do with a bit of help on my compost project.

I bought two or three composting bags, and have filled them with all our vegetable cuttings plus a few turves from where I reclaimed an area of grassland in order to form our vegetable plot. The turves have been turned upside in the bags - as I wa advised on this very Forum - and I'm just ordering how long (from being filled around the end of March) the bags might take to produce any workable compost. I can understand how the vegetable cuttings would break down by about this time next year, but am worried that there might be some big lumps of turf amongst it, thus spoiling the usability of the end product.

Could anyone advise me on this one, please?

Why did you buy bags?

Comment

They will take a long time to break down - I'd guess 12-18months - I'd have stacked them elsewhere - not in your heaps.

Not sure what those composting bags are, but the more you turn and mix up your compost heaps, the faster they'll break down.

Roughly equal parts of greens to browns, and turning often means I can turn a full dalek into useable compost in about 3 months.. The more greens, or nitrogen rich additions will help to keep the heap going, but there's the cool phase of composting too.

Urine really does work wonders - if you have a lot of browns

Comment

Originally posted by Herbsandveg View Post
        have filled them with all our vegetable cuttings plus a few turves
        You haven't added any "browns" then? You're going to end up with a bag of slime.

You must wrap your kitchen peelings in sheets of newspaper, and also add any torn up cardboard, paper envelopes etc etc.
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

What are composting bags? Those things you can roll about?

Comment

I presume these are the ones Original Organics

Comment

crikey, seven squid each!

I'd just use rubble sacks, from any local supermarket (about a quid for five)

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                crikey, seven squid each!

I'd just use rubble sacks, from any local supermarket (about a quid for five)
                Or a big heap on the ground. Cost zero. Although it probably needs covering to stop the surface growing.

Comment

Composting update...

Thank you again to all for your advice...

I think I might now dispense with the compost bags and invest in a proper compost heap frame - better still, I could make one.

I never, ever stop learning on here! Many, many thanks again...

Comment

I'm just ordering how long (from being filled around the end of March) the bags might take to produce any workable compost.
                    That depends on the bag contents, the weather, and what composting organisms you have. In a bag, there're going to be a whole lot fewer composting critters than you would get if you had a heap on the ground. Worms, for example.

Workable compost? A ball park figure would be 6-12 months. I turn my daleks every 6 months or so (basically once they're full), and I get "rough" compost, with lumps in.

Which is fine for my beds, I don't mind lumps. Really big lumps of wood get chucked back in the dalek.

My friend has some really lovely black crumbly compost at hers, it took 5 years.

If you want really fine potting compost, you need to make leafmould, and leave it for at least 2 years.
                    Last edited by Two_Sheds; 04-05-2013, 09:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                      You haven't added any "browns" then? You're going to end up with a bag of slime.

You must wrap your kitchen peelings in sheets of newspaper, and also add any torn up cardboard, paper envelopes etc etc.
                      At the risk of sounding very ignorant, could you tell me what 'browns' are, please?...

Comment

Browns are carbon-based additions: newspaper, straw, torn up cardboard, loo rolls etc

Greens are nitrogen additions: plant material, weeds etc

You need roughly a 50/50 mix

Comment

I think I might now dispense with the compost bags and invest in a proper compost heap frame - better still, I could make one.
                          You could try contacting your local council, they normally have the dalek bins at knock-down prices.

Comment

Dalek

I didn't wanty to mess with bags and hips, so I bought a Dalek on amazon.
                            It's 300L capacity and I love it. The only draw back is you need to pin it down somehow as it blew away the other day.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Once its half full it shouldn't go anywhere.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X