Advice needed on home made compost

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Local council Waste reduction

I have just spent 2 days on a course sponsored by Oxfordshire District Council, certified by the Wast Management Chartered Institute teaching me all about composting and giving me the lovely title of "Master Composter". It's all done in conjunction with Garden Organic and the training takes place at Ryton near Coventry.

I have learned so much, I would thoroughly recommend you speak to your local council's Waste reduction officer and see if they use the scheme as well. The training is free and the depth of knoweldge gained is invaluable. The council should also offer greatly reduced Darleks to help start you off on the right foot.

Comment

Originally posted by LillyRoseGarden View Post
      The only draw back is you need to pin it down somehow as it blew away the other day.
      Once it's got something inside it, it won't go anywhere. obviously an empty one will just take off ~ it's how I acquired so many (I have 9)
      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Hmm... so I should be turning my compost then?? I thought it was rather slow. I just have a cube heap, prob about 1m25 square. I dig the compost out the bottom. I had some lumpy compost to use this spring from last year. I'm not sure I get enough green in mine as the grass barely grows! I have a lot of brown as I have rabbits and I empty their litter tray on the heap (newspaper, hay and rabbit poops!). Heap hard to turn, its heavy!!
        Do I need to cover my heap? In winter I try and chuck a plastic sheet over it as thats all I had. But I jsut leave it otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by Aileen35 View Post
          I have just spent 2 days on a course sponsored by Oxfordshire District Council, certified by the Wast Management Chartered Institute teaching me all about composting and giving me the lovely title of "Master Composter". It's all done in conjunction with Garden Organic and the training takes place at Ryton near Coventry.

I have learned so much, I would thoroughly recommend you speak to your local council's Waste reduction officer and see if they use the scheme as well. The training is free and the depth of knoweldge gained is invaluable. The council should also offer greatly reduced Darleks to help start you off on the right foot.

Any chancd of you sharing some of what you learnt on the course? I hear differing things about what the composition of a compost heap should be. Thanks.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X