advice about compost heap

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• advice about compost heap

It has been going for about a year - first as a heap then after about 3 months I got a couple of wooden compost bins and transferred a heap into a bin. One bin has been filled, rotted down a bit, mixed up, filled again to the top. It contains a mixture of veg peelings, grass clippings, shredded leaves and the contents of a used growbag (also contained many worms!). The top third of the full bin is now all grass clippings.

Should I transfer the lot into the second bin to mix up the grass clippings with the rest of the compost or just leave it and start on the new bin with new organic waste? I don't want to end up with a sludgy mess!

When do you think it will be ready to use on the lottie?
    You are a child of the universe,
    no less than the trees and the stars;
    you have a right to be here.

Max Ehrmann, Desiderata

blog: http://allyheebiejeebie.blogspot.com/ and my (basic!) page: http://www.allythegardener.co.uk/

A good thread Hj i will watch this with interest, because my compost bin - the first one at lottie is bone dry, so nothing happening there, no worms - all moved out as too dry for them.
    Denise xox

Learn from the mistakes of others because you'll never live long enough to make them all yourself.
    -- Alfred E. Neumann
    http://denise-growingmyown.blogspot.com//

Comment

They do say you should mix (or turn) your compost heap regularly for good results. However some of the old boys at the allotment just pile everything in and leave it and they seem to get good compost. I suppose it depends on the contents, the size of the heap and the temperature.

Comment

I would recommend that you turn out the one bin into the other but dont add any new stuff to it.

With the darlic type bins I then to fill them up to the top....leave them (in the Sun) for a few months. They will have reduced to 50% by then so I add the contents of one into another. Leave for two months then use it.

If you keep adding to the bin there will always be stuff un rotted.
        My phone has more Processing power than the Computers NASA used to fake the Moon Landings

Comment

Good question Heebiejeebie. I'm sure there are experts who can make compost in three months. I'm not one, it all takes longer than that.
          Your grass clippings - they will not rot into compost by themselves. Add them in thin layers with some brown material on top - emptied pots, spent compost, dug up weeds with earth on roots. Add some water if it is dry.
          The same is true of all material (vegetable peelings etc. You need to add some earth or compost)
          In the long run, everything will compost. I work two systems. Dalek bins for things I expect to compost within a year. And dumps (heaps) for things which will take longer. It all breaks down eventually - but it can be a long term process.
          If you need the compost "instantly" I'm sure there will be grapes along to tell you how to speed up the process.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Thanks for the advice!

I will mix everything up a bit and put it into the second bin, adding the contents of another used growbag too. Maybe it will be useable by next year! I can wait. Might remove some of the new grass clippings and use them as a mulch.

Max Ehrmann, Desiderata

blog: http://allyheebiejeebie.blogspot.com/ and my (basic!) page: http://www.allythegardener.co.uk/

Comment

It pays to wait! It takes me about 18 months to get a good compost as we just don't get enough heat. But it is worth the wait. Problem is you need alot of boxes! I've got three wooden boxes and a plastic dalek, which I have now managed to get to say in place (its dug in, tied to the wall, with three blocks on it!)
              ~
              Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
              ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

I have mixed up the contents of the full bin into the second bin. There was a surprising (to me!) amount of material in it that looked pristine e.g. a couple of spuds that I know must have been there since about November looked better than they did when I chucked them in! And a few old bits of veg peeling trying to grow.

Lots of woodlice but the earthworms have b*****ed off.

Max Ehrmann, Desiderata

Comment

i have now got 2 bins at home the first i have had for a year the second is a few weeks old i transfred the top hlf of the old bin in to the new and put a layer of ripped up paper on,them some kitchen wastethen some card board and finally some grass clippings i went to mix it friday and the heat coming off it was amazing it also smelt good not to pongy so im leaving that now and am gonna start a new one when the bin comes
                  PRESTON NORTH END
                  xbox gamertag billybobs
                  add me to your friends list if you got what it takes

Comment

Don't forget to water your compost bins/heaps. It really helps. And put some wee on it if you dare...brilliant activator
                    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Hi
                      I was moving one of my "heaps" when I came across a chive plant I'd had in the wrong place last year and thought had gone to seed, it was a bit yellow but growing new shoots so I planted it it one of my raised beds and it's now, a few weeks later, all bright green and growing well - that will learn me.

And was listening to GQT yesterday and heard Bob Flowerdew recommend that you get a bucket, fill it with newspaper standing it on edge and then pee on it till saturated - then put this at the bottom of your bean trench - to quote Bob "your beans will love you for it".

Sue

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                        Don't forget to water your compost bins/heaps. It really helps. And put some wee on it if you dare...brilliant activator
                        In this the blokes have the advantage!

Flum
                        Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

rofl! I can just imagine Mr Heebs's face if I suggested he activates the compost for me !

Max Ehrmann, Desiderata

Comment

If you have a fox problem gettting the man of the house to 'mark your territory' is quite a good solution.

Probably needs to be done after dark......
                            The weeks and the years are fine. It's the days I can't cope with!

Comment

I originally read about 'compost activation' years ago in a book by Lawrence Hills, the guy that founded HDRA.

I do it all the time - better than having to take your dirty shoes off every time you go indoors and when I'm working at the back of the garden, often leave it until I'm busting to go!
                              TonyF, Dordogne 24220

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X