Composting Rats!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
    I understand you can put a dead bunny or rat in a septic tank to speed up the process?
    It doesn't speed up the process, normally a dead bunny, rat, moggy, any dead animal really is added into a septic tank once it has been emptied, this then helps kick start the "new" tanks bacteria levels.
    It was dark. And cold. And very, very empty.

And in the middle of all of the dark, cold, emptiness lay something darker, and colder, but very, very full.

Comment

i think i am squemish- i couldn't put compost on the veg if i knew a dead rat was thrown into the mix. i have enough of a problem forgetting rats have probably walked over the veg area! mind you, my strawberries are making me forget all about that, as i eat them straight from the plant! yummy

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
        I understand you can put a dead bunny or rat in a septic tank to speed up the process?
        according to pal of mine, they chuck a dead rat in the vats of scrumpy at his local Cider Mill, when it is reduced to a skeleton the cider is ready

Comment

thank heavens i dont drink cider! i think it used to be a horses hoof they chucked in, and i think someone else once told me it was a frog. i know a dead pony or donkey used to be disirable to throw in the hole, before planting a fruit tree. hopefully, thats no longer done, as i like my fruit!

Comment

Crikey, I wouldn't want to dig that hole! My sister used to live in Somerset and local scrumpy always had meat added. I never asked what it was.

Comment

my mother in law has just brought me back a big plastic container of scrumpy from and old farm in cornwall.
              damn!...i was looking foreward to drinking that.
              "if im not up the allotment...im up the caravan"

bowers allotment society

Comment

It's not good for yourself and for the environment.

Comment

It's live rats that spread disease, not dead ones. Think of the scenario. Dead body (rat or anything else) on compost heap. Blow fly finds dead body as they do and lays eggs on body, maggots eat body from inside and leave skeleton. Not pleasant but that's how it works. Crows or seagulls may even remove carcase before the blow flies get involved.

Comment

My compost heap is heaving with all sorts of critters, worms, beetles, slugs, etc. Some of them must pass away and add to the natural decomposing of the heap. And if a rat was to be rummaging around in your heap when it died, it would quite likely stay there unbeknown to you anyway. I cant see the difference really in the natural lifecycle of the compost and adding it yourself.

“If your knees aren't green by the end of the day, you ought to seriously re-examine your life.”

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Charles Churchill : A dog will look up on you; a cat will look down on you; however, a pig will see you eye to eye and know it has found an equal

Comment

I would be worried that perhaps the rat (deer, sheep, moggy, etc) had not been thoroughly composted by the time I investigated the heap before using it. I can't think of much worse than delving in to find a very smelly, partly-decomposed body that I'd forgotten about.
                      I think I shall continue to deal with dead animals in the same way - cremation/burial.
                      And deal with compost heaps in a more healthy way - no meat, flesh or bones, tyvm

Comment

Originally posted by aikenjones View Post
                        It's not good for yourself and for the environment.
                        Cider is bad for the enviroment?!!!
                        WPC F Hobbit, Shire police

Comment

I put some mackerel carcases in my dalek today - some lazy b'steward had chucked it over their fence onto my plot, rather than put it in their own bin
                          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by FionaH View Post
                            Cider is bad for the enviroment?!!!
                            Only after a hobbit has drunk it <flees>

Comment

I have rats in my compost bin and although I only put in garden waste and raw kitchen scraps they still seem to appear. What I am worried about though is rats are incontinent and so obviously this will be in our bin. Will the rotting process kill any nasty bugs and will it be safe to add to veg beds?

Comment

Originally posted by pinkprincess View Post
                                Will the rotting process kill any nasty bugs and will it be safe to add to veg beds?
                                Yes.

... but you need to get rid of the rats. Water the compost heaps thoroughly and often. Don't allow any other places for rats to nest, eg under the shed
                                All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X