Chicken manure pellets

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chicken manure pellets

Just a thought, where do chicken manure pellets come from ( obviously from chickens ) ? BUT are they a by-product of battery farming ? Anyone any info please.
    You have to loose sight of the shore sometimes to cross new oceans

I would be a perfectionist, but I dont have the time

battery farming, yes. Unless they say 'organic' or 'free range' on the label
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Thanks TS will avoid unless organic or free range.

Comment

It has to say more than 'organic' on the bucket because lots of sellers will say their chicken poo is organic, which it is - poo is organically based! But unless you see a Soil Association symbol it is not certified organic.

There aren't many which are, think Tamar Organics sell some & Garden Organic too.

The Organic Gardening Catalogue

Rooster organic fertiliser manufacturer & suppliers UK
        Last edited by smallblueplanet; 18-04-2010, 07:23 PM.
        To see a world in a grain of sand
        And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

I have never thought about that to be honest!

Thanks for pointing it out.
          A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

Its only just dawned on me to be honest. I am thinking that alot of peeps out there dont realese they are buying free range eggs ... but feeding battery farming by buying these pellets yuck

Glad I have my own chooks

Comment

Originally posted by Liza View Post
              Its only just dawned on me to be honest. I am thinking that alot of peeps out there dont realese they are buying free range eggs ... but feeding battery farming by buying these pellets yuck

Glad I have my own chooks
              They 'deliver' pellets then?
              A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

Yes every day, straight into compst bin and onto plot in 6 months, job done .

Comment

Originally posted by Liza View Post
                  Yes every day, straight into compst bin and onto plot in 6 months, job done .
                  My chooks have been in the greenhouse all winter so the bed soil is well pelletised! Hope the toms appreciate it!
                  My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                  to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Interesting...so if a hen were truly 'freerange' you'd need to follow it around with a shovel...yet most freerange means they have an overcrowded pen where they peck around at each other and in their own faeces. What does 'organic' mean...the certified food in and (often cruelly) withholding medicine?...a battery hen could therefore be fed 'organic' produce 'organic' poo.

I don't imagine that 'organic' or often 'freerange' has much to do with animal welfare...more with marketing.

just a thought.

Comment

Paulottie - for organic certification farmers are required to medicate their animals where needed... even if doing so would mean the animal losing its organic status. In fact, failure to do so can lead to loss of certification.
                      It's the routine use of antibiotics on healthy animals (a really bad practice) that's forbidden.

You could feed a battery hen with organic food until it could eat no more and you ended up with a chicken version of foie gras... it still wouldn't be "organic". They can't even just be kept in big barns with a limit on birds per area, they have to have outdoor access* and (IIRC) ad-hoc feeding and drinking.

I believe "free range" is a term that can be a bit misleading, but certainly "organic" standards require a lot more than a chemical-free animal.

* for Soil Association certification have to have that access for pretty much their whole life.

Comment

Originally posted by Paulottie
                        I don't imagine that 'organic' or often 'freerange' has much to do with animal welfare...more with marketing.
                        Perhaps you should at least look into things before being quite so cynical? I think your question has been answered. The system might not be perfect, but anything that addresses the question of animal welfare HAS to be a good thing.

Originally posted by organic
                        Paulottie - for organic certification farmers are required to medicate their animals where needed... even if doing so would mean the animal losing its organic status. In fact, failure to do so can lead to loss of certification.
                        It's the routine use of antibiotics on healthy animals (a really bad practice) that's forbidden.

You could feed a battery hen with organic food until it could eat no more and you ended up with a chicken version of foie gras... it still wouldn't be "organic". They can't even just be kept in big barns with a limit on birds per area, they have to have outdoor access* and (IIRC) ad-hoc feeding and drinking.

I believe "free range" is a term that can be a bit misleading, but certainly "organic" standards require a lot more than a chemical-free animal.

* for Soil Association certification have to have that access for pretty much their whole life.
                        To see a world in a grain of sand
                        And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

Originally posted by Paulottie View Post
                          Interesting...so if a hen were truly 'freerange' you'd need to follow it around with a shovel...yet most freerange means they have an overcrowded pen where they peck around at each other and in their own faeces. What does 'organic' mean...the certified food in and (often cruelly) withholding medicine?...a battery hen could therefore be fed 'organic' produce 'organic' poo.

just a thought.
                          If you look at the soil association regs about "organic", it DOES take on board animal welfare.The rules are REALLY strict!

I'm a bit cynical about buying "organic" or "free-range" at my local supermarket, particularly as recently some bloke was fined because he was importing battery farmed eggs from abroad and supplying supermarkets with "free-range" eggs!

My answer is to grow my own veg and fruit ( But that's NOT organic, because I use gro more as a general fertilizer!) and I'm not sure if my chooks are officially "free range"? They have their own secure run, but only get out into the garden under supervision.
                          In 2008, they ate all my leeks, onions, sprouts and spring cabbage when they were totally free-range!!!!!

When I lived in a rural area, I bought my eggs from the farm gate and could SEE the chickens were free-range. Meat could be bought from local butchers who knew exactly where the produce had come from, or it came from farmers who I knew personally. Often NOT people with soil assocation accreditation, but who I knew hadn't used hormones/antibitics to increase yield, or crammed animals up to get high yields.
                          But the eggs/meat were NOT cheap.
                          Nor do I honestly think they tasted any better!
                          The bottom line is that growing organically/free-range IS more expensive to the producer and therefore the consumer.

About 10 years ago, I had about 20 free range chickens( definately free-range, cos they had 1/2 an acre of land !), so had far more eggs than we could use. I sold the extra eggs at work. I couldn't claim "Organic", even tho I fed them organic layers pellets, because I wasn't going thro the hoops to be registered with the soil association, PLUS they loved eating veg peelings/rice/pasta from my kitchen.( Not sure if that food was organic)

I gave up selling eggs to colleagues after several people wondered what supplement I'd been feeding the chooks to get such very yellow yolks!! ( The answer was the girls had been eating grass!)

Comment

I keep forgetting I have a tub of "Chicken Poo" in the garage...

D'oh!

I've one raised bed left to fill, is it worth mixing some in there now? - going to be used for either leaks, or sweet corn depending on which is ready first

Comment

Originally posted by chrismarks View Post
                              ................ - going to be used for either leaks, or sweet corn depending on which is ready first
                              Yes for leeks which rely on leaf growth to give them girth, but I would say no for sweet corn where you are trying to promote cob formation.
                              My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                              to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X