No announcement yet.

Project finally finished

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks, that is what I was considering, those of the vertically challenged persuasion! Should be ok for most.
    Never test the depth of the water with both feet

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory....

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Comment

It looks just the job
      Location....East Midlands.

Comment

I did think of making one, the plan (very fluid in my mind) was to have one side running on rollers made out of whatever I could find, plastic pipe on greased metal conduit or something and the other side a long piece of pipe with a crank at one end, the crank/pipe would turn the barrel via some sort of rubber stuck in rings on both. I haven't got any rubber stuff I can lay my hands on, nor has a decent barrel ever fell into my hands, so it's never happened yet.

My plan is more akin to the originals you can buy.

You turn yours via the tube at one end, then turn it the other way to undo the lid?
        I suppose the lid may get stuck, I would lightly grease it with veg oil (although this may solidify in cold weather) before fitting it.

If you haven't fixed the casters they may turn round and get stuck.
        Last edited by womble; 12-10-2009, 11:23 AM.
        "Orinoco was a fat lazy Womble"

Please ignore everything I say, I make it up as I go along, not only do I generally not believe what I write, I never remember it either.

Comment

Hi Womble, I learnt fairly quick that you can only work with the materials you can find. I must have gone through 5/6 different senarios before I decided on this one.
          I am confused about the handle & door. The barrel can turn clockwise or anti-clockwise depending on how you feel, it has no bearing on the door as it just opens on the hinges. As for the casters, you are quite right, they were swivel casters, but I drilled a hole through the bottom & screwed them into the frame making them fixed.
          sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
          --------------------------------------------------------------------
          Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
          -------------------------------------------------------------------
          Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
          -----------------------------------------------------------
          KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

think womble was referring to the original lid which is now on the side to which you attached your White pipe...
            Never test the depth of the water with both feet

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory....

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Comment

I assumed that you were going to use the lid at one end of the cylinder to empty the whole tumbler. I mean if you tried to use the tiny door in the centre it would take you ages and be a PITA.

Therefore I presumed you would turn the cylinder clockwise to tumble the barrel, which would in effect tighten the lid at that end. Then anticlockwise which would undo the lid.
              I was presuming that the lid at the end of the barrel has a std screw thread on it, but I am guessing from your answer that it may be a push fit?

Please ignore everything I say, I make it up as I go along, not only do I generally not believe what I write, I never remember it either.

Comment

very good I am impressed. I like the idea of casters to create the ease of turning. I had always seen ones with axels in the middle and this is a much simpler idea.
                http://plot62.blogspot.com/

Comment

My appologies Womble. Both ends are sealed so it does not have a lid, just 2 bungs. As to emptying it, I just push wheelbarrow underneath & open the door.
                  sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”

Comment

Thanks Matt. Time will tell, I am noticing slight indentations in the barrel where it sits on the wheels. Guess I am going to have to watch how much weight it can handle. I may have to put some supports inside the barrel where it sits on the wheels, as of yet I don't know what.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
                      My appologies Womble. Both ends are sealed so it does not have a lid, just 2 bungs. As to emptying it, I just push wheelbarrow underneath & open the door.
                      That's going to be one problem then, emptying it. I think the other problem that you've seen already could become a big problem very quickly and could break the barrel.
                      I would maybe think of wrappign something round the barrel where the wheels touch, rather than something on the inside, but I can't think of anything off the top of my head, I'll have a think.

Comment

well done you and is the writing desk (to the left) for when you need to make notes
                        aka
                        Suzie

Comment

Gosh Bigmally, you're brilliant! Could I borrow you for a few years please??
                          A good beginning is half the work.
                          Praise the young and they will make progress.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
                            Thanks Matt. Time will tell, I am noticing slight indentations in the barrel where it sits on the wheels. Guess I am going to have to watch how much weight it can handle. I may have to put some supports inside the barrel where it sits on the wheels, as of yet I don't know what.
                            I would think a good solution would be to replace the wheels with something wider which will spread the weight over a larger surface area. Can't think of anything readily available and cheap off the top of my head. Like a paint roller, but more heavy-duty. You could achieve this with just two rollers, but would need something to stop the barrel from moving sideways on them.
                            Putting a strip around the barrel would work, only it will need to be a more durable matterial than the plastic of the barrel (or just more easily replaced). The only solution I can think of on that line would be metal, but you'd need to weld it to avoid having a thick seam.

You've inspired me to build my own now!
                            Current Executive Board Members at Ollietopia Inc:
                            Snadger - Director of Poetry
                            RedThorn - Chief Interrobang Officer
                            Pumpkin Becki - Head of Dremel Multi-Tool Sales & Marketing and Management Support
                            Jeanied - Olliecentric Eulogy Minister
                            piskieinboots - Ambassador of 2-word Media Reviews

WikiGardener a subsidiary of Ollietopia Inc.

Comment

Originally posted by piskieinboots View Post
                              well done you and is the writing desk (to the left) for when you need to make notes
                              Surprised you noticed it piskieinboots....its an old drugs trolley I bought from work for 50p, I use it as a little potting station...........

Comment

A project is never finished is it?.................The indentations are going to cause a problem but I am on the case, I will put an updated photo on when its done. The frame will not collapse by the time I have finished........

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X