Project finally finished

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OllieMartin View Post
    I would think a good solution would be to replace the wheels with something wider which will spread the weight over a larger surface area. Can't think of anything readily available and cheap off the top of my head. Like a paint roller, but more heavy-duty. You could achieve this with just two rollers, but would need something to stop the barrel from moving sideways on them.
    Putting a strip around the barrel would work, only it will need to be a more durable matterial than the plastic of the barrel (or just more easily replaced). The only solution I can think of on that line would be metal, but you'd need to weld it to avoid having a thick seam.

You've inspired me to build my own now!
    Ollie, I get what you are saying about wider wheels but all that would happen is I would get wider dents. It's the weight of the compost standing overnight on the wheels that is causing the problem. What I need to do is support the weight while keeping it on the wheels. I should have it sorted tomorrow or Weds.
    sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

You're confusing me Womble (but then again, that's not hard).... How is emptying it going to be a problem?
      sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”

Comment

Emptying could be a problem as not all bits decompose at the same time,so you could have larger bits obstructing the exit.If you made another access door opposite the current one,it would allow you to get your hand in to assist emptying.It wouldn't need to be as big either

Comment

Originally posted by Pies View Post
          Emptying could be a problem as not all bits decompose at the same time,so you could have larger bits obstructing the exit.If you made another access door opposite the current one,it would allow you to get your hand in to assist emptying.It wouldn't need to be as big either
          Most of the stuff that goes in is shredded first so hopefully should not get blocked. I will let you know.

Comment

I think you will need to get your arm in to recover composted material from the sides.

Also do you have a drainage hole for your compost 'juice'..?
            It looks fab btw.
            Blogging at..... www.thecynicalgardener.wordpress.com

Comment

I think everyone's just trying to shoot holes in it Bigmally cos basically they are all jealous!

It will be interesting to see how quickly you get compost from it? These things supposedly can compost in a couple of weeks in high summer if situated in a sunny position.

Its got to be quicker and neater than my compost,which is just chucked in a heap in the corner!
              Last edited by Snadger; 12-10-2009, 09:37 PM.
              My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
              to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
                I think everyone's just trying to shoot holes in it Bigmally cos basically they are all jealous!
                Yeah I think so too.

Good project Bigmally, I too want to know how the compost turns out and how long it takes.

I spoke to a professional gardener once and he told me they don't work as well as we are told, so I'm very interested to hear different views.
                "Orinoco was a fat lazy Womble"

Please ignore everything I say, I make it up as I go along, not only do I generally not believe what I write, I never remember it either.

Comment

perhaps remove the pin that holds the wheel in of the caster and using a long bolt, put a wheel on either side of the caster thereby having 3 wheels per caster, giving you your wider surface area to take the weight! also consider adding another set of casters closer to the rim perhaps?, maybe 1 or both ideas to sort out the denting? the ideal would be barrel hoops on the inside where the casters run but not so easy to sort...

EDIT - BTW I'm now buying a barrel too because of your pics, will use it as a water storage for now, but will hopefully become a Bigmally composter later!
                  Last edited by RedThorn; 13-10-2009, 07:51 AM.
                  Never test the depth of the water with both feet

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory....

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
                    Surprised you noticed it piskieinboots....its an old drugs trolley I bought from work for 50p, I use it as a little potting station...........
                    excellent idea - you are very resourceful
                    aka
                    Suzie

Comment

I am very gratefull for all of your comments & will keep you updated as to any successes or failures, it helps blow the cobwebs off the old grey matter. Grey being the operative word

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
                        Not here,just trying to make sure all the little bits have been done

Comment

It's a fantastic gadget and you could use it as an emergency giant tombola receptacle too!

Comment

That's it Susie, I shall call it The Compost Tombola.

Comment

I'm probably going to make one of these over the winter when I've got a bit less weeding and path-laying to do. I've been thinking about making it with an upright barrel but that does mean getting an axle through which adds complications.

As for problems with the door and emptying, I don't think blocking will be an issue, but I do think the door might be a bit small.

I decided (correctly) it would be easier to draw a picture of what I mean, so see the attachment below.
                              That's what I see happening to some degree or other. I've not tried to get accurate angles or amounts (or even barrel proportions) but it was a couple of minutes work in AutoCAD with no measurements or reference materials so that's no wonder.

It could be solved by either a longer hatch or a couple of end hatches to allow you to reach in and shove the compost towards the door.

Nice work... I hope you can come up with a solution for the dents.
                              My idea on that front would be fibreglass - a wide layer, possibly covering the whole barrel, should spread the load well and stop the dents... I've got the stuff lying around here though - if you don't it'd obviously add to the cost. That'd be the avenue I'd look at first if it was my tumbler though.
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by organic; 22-10-2009, 10:45 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the interest Organic. The dent problem is sorted, see link below. There are loads of tumblers on the market that rotate as you describe. From what I have read, they can be a little unstable when turning them, good luck though.

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ate_40257.html

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X