start collecting those leaves folks!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jackyspratty View Post
    Will the seeds rot down along with the leaves?
    Everything rots eventually. Just leave them in the bags for long enough, until you can't see seeds or leaves any more.
    Once rotted, the seeds can't germinate.
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Tidied the front drive at work yesterday, and picked up a sackfull of leaves that had blown in from nearby trees. Just need to work out how to get them home.

Comment

I always collect the sycamore leaves from our first garden, but the new house has a sycamore and a horse chestnut, and the horse chestnut suffers badly from leaf miner (it looks like its in a little patch of November while the rest of the country is in July).

I think it helps keep the population of this pest down if I collect the leaves up, but I'm unhappy about leaf-moulding them incase I'm just giving them somewhere warm to live for the winter. OH is talking about getting a garden incinerator bin, so maybe I'll burn the leaves and use the ash on the garden instead.

Comment

Originally posted by Littlemouse View Post
          Do any of you compost acorns and does anyone know whether they break down at a comparable rate to other general stuff in composter? 0r are they like tomato seeds passing through the digestive system -emerge intact?
          Why not mash them up in the food processor to speed up the composting process?
          If a thing's worth doing, it's worth doing to excess

Comment

My wire cage is almost full of leaves and I don't think it will hold much more so it looks like the next lot will be going in bags.
            Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Oooh so many leaves coming down in the garden, picked up 3 bagfuls earlier. They are all so dry, you can hear them tinkling as they fall down through the branches
              Mostly Tomato Mania Blog

Comment

we've had a really windy night, so I'm off out leaf-stealing again today. Mr S raises his eyebrows at the growing pile of plastic bags in our garden, but they are shoring up our broken fence
                Last edited by Two_Sheds; 20-10-2009, 07:28 AM.

Comment

Doesn't it soon get you warm raking up those leaves.

Comment

3 bags, I wish. J has raked up seven huge piles today and there's still about 50% of the leaves left on the trees! But then I do have 2.5 acres of woods but that lots just from the bit closest to the house!
                    TonyF, Dordogne 24220

Comment

Originally posted by TonyF View Post
                      3 bags, I wish. J has raked up seven huge piles today and there's still about 50% of the leaves left on the trees! But then I do have 2.5 acres of woods but that lots just from the bit closest to the house!
                      A case of "can't see the woods for the leaves" eh Tony?

It's more the acorns they give me grief. Makes the lawn horrible to stand on barefoot (in the summertime).
                      A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

I acquired a couple of bags of leaves last night the nice men from the council bag them up and leave them round the edge of the common for collection to go to landfill.

Will be keeping the peepers open for more
                        http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/sarajjohnson
                        http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...blogs/pipkins/

Comment

We've got a whole lawn covered in leaves but both of us are working too hard and too tired to collect them

Here's hoping some of them will have decomposed a bit by the time we get to it with the leaf sucker.

Comment

Its been really windy here today so I've raked the lawn twice and managed to fill a whole bag.

Comment

I just got 7 bags full from the lotty carpark: nobody else bothers to rake them up, so mine all mine

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                                I just got 7 bags full from the lotty carpark: nobody else bothers to rake them up, so mine all mine
                                Sounds like you have struck gold TS........are they really that good?...it's new to me.
                                sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                                --------------------------------------------------------------------
                                Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                                -------------------------------------------------------------------
                                Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                                -----------------------------------------------------------
                                KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X