Composting cardboard

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Composting cardboard

Just a question about wether or not coloured cardboard is ok for the compost heap? I know plain brown card is, but not sure about the stuff with coloured printing on?? I have usually put this in the council brown bin ,but if its ok to home compost then I will, now I am hoping to make some good compost for the allotment!!
    (wasn't sure which section to post this in, sorry if its the wrong one )
    Last edited by Emmylou; 22-04-2009, 07:57 PM.
    "Happiness cannot come from without. It must come from within. It is not what we see and touch or that which others do for us which makes us happy; it is that which we think and feel and do, first for the other fellow and then for ourselves." Helen Keller

My approach to composting is - if it's organic, chuck it on, so I wouldn't have a problem sticking it on my heap / in my dalek. The only thing that doesn't seem to rot down is eggshells. (And bones, but as I am a vegetarian I don't get too many of those to worry about!)

Doesn't have much nutritional value but it's all organic matter and should not contain anything toxic (EU regs and all that) so as long as you have plenty of "greens" in there as well I reckon it will be OK.
    Warning: I have a dangerous tendency to act like I know what I'm talking about.

Comment

Ok, thanks! I don't put eggshells on. Will give it a try. Was concerned about the ink, but as you say with H&S etc, that little bit shouldn't cause a problem.
      "Happiness cannot come from without. It must come from within. It is not what we see and touch or that which others do for us which makes us happy; it is that which we think and feel and do, first for the other fellow and then for ourselves." Helen Keller

Comment

Originally posted by Emmylou View Post
        Ok, thanks! I don't put eggshells on.
        LOL - i still put mine in, I just end up with compost that looks as though I eat nothing but eggs! once you dig it in a bit the shells sort of disappear - all the "grit" I can get for my clay soil
        Warning: I have a dangerous tendency to act like I know what I'm talking about.

Comment

I'm glad it's not just me, I took some compost from a bin that was made three years ago and found half egg shells in it.

Comment

Originally posted by COMPOST CORNER View Post
            I'm glad it's not just me, I took some compost from a bin that was made three years ago and found half egg shells in it.
            Originally posted by Demeter View Post
            LOL - i still put mine in, I just end up with compost that looks as though I eat nothing but eggs! once you dig it in a bit the shells sort of disappear - all the "grit" I can get for my clay soil

I do put eggshells in mine but I crush them well in a bit of kitchen roll so that the bits are quite small and using the tissue means that I don't have to handle the wet shells. I put the tissue in too. Sanjo

Comment

Originally posted by Emmylou View Post
              Ok, thanks! I don't put eggshells on. Will give it a try.
              There's nowt wrong with putting egg shells in the compost as it will rot down okay, and if there's any worms in the compost bin, they'll feed on them too. One thing you could do before you add them to the compost though is to smash them up in a pestle and mortar. It only takes half a minute.

Comment

Whenever I turn mine over I always end up with eggshells clinging onto the tines of the fork. I do try and get the rest of the house to smash them up first, but they seem to be averse to doing it.
                :::sigh:::

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X