comfrey and nettle fertiliser

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sesa View Post
    What are nettles? I take my dump trailer to a friends turkey farm and get tons of turkey poop let it sit for a year then till it in.
    Sesa, nettles are weeds. More usually known as stinging nettles. They have jagged leaves covered with stinging hairs. A plant of the Genus Urtica according to my dictionary.
    Last edited by Sanjo; 19-04-2009, 12:25 PM.

Comment

Probably a very stpid question but .. do the nettle leaves need to be young to make nettle fertiliser?
      Last edited by sweetiepea; 20-04-2009, 05:05 PM.
      A good beginning is half the work.
      Praise the young and they will make progress.

Comment

Originally posted by Sanjo View Post
        Sesa, nettles are weeds. More usually known as stinging nettles. They have jagged leaves covered with stinging hairs. A plant of the Genus Urtica according to my dictionary.
        Well technically they are just a plant and are only weeds if you don't want them where they are growing!

I've just sown some nettle seeds, the annual ones Urtica Doicia (or something)
        My reasons being:
        -they attract nettle aphids, which only eat nettles. However, ladybirds like them and eat them early in the season before moving on to the greenfly and whitefly which do eat your veg and flowers.
        -I'm going to attempt to make nettle tea for me to drink
        -they are a good green manure, you can use them as a mulch, or a compost activator or for nettle tea for plants as mentioned above.

So for me, definitely not intended to be weeds, however, I may change my mind if I accidentally stick my hand in them!
        http://www.keithsallotment.blogspot.com/

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X