Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• comfrey and nettle fertiliser

Hi

I just wondered whether I was right about this.

In particular comfrey fertiliser made with water I am using it on tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers and fruit bushes, on my allotment (my first year!) I don't know what veg if any I can use it on so was wondering whether nettle fertiliser would do as I tended to use that on things with green leaves like lettuce.

I am growing cabbages, peas, carrots, onions, garlic, fennel, swede, turnip, potatoes on my allotment and don't know which of the two fertilisers touse.

any help most appreciated

Originally posted by Saraheliz View Post
    Hi

I just wondered whether I was right about this.

In particular comfrey fertiliser made with water I am using it on tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers and fruit bushes, on my allotment (my first year!) I don't know what veg if any I can use it on so was wondering whether nettle fertiliser would do as I tended to use that on things with green leaves like lettuce.

I am growing cabbages, peas, carrots, onions, garlic, fennel, swede, turnip, potatoes on my allotment and don't know which of the two fertilisers touse.

any help most appreciated

Cabbage=nettle
    peas=comfrey
    carrots=nothing
    onions=both
    garlic=both
    fennel=nettle
    swede=nettle
    potatoes=comfrey

Ask 100 gardeners...get 100 differing answers!
    Last edited by Snadger; 15-04-2009, 07:11 PM.
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Thanks for posting this, it's reminded me that I want to get some nettle fertiliser on the go! How do you make yours, was thinking of packing a load into some old plastic containers and and leaving to infuse for a few weeks but as I've never made any before, I'm not entirely sure.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Alison, I do mine exactly like that. Pack the leaves in old 4 or 6 pint plastic milk bottles, and top up with water - it contains the smell, which an open container like a water butt won't.
        Last edited by Two_Sheds; 16-04-2009, 03:37 PM.
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
          Alison, I do mine exactly like that. In old 4 or 6 pint plastic milk bottles - it contains the smell, which an open container like a water butt won't.
          TS, what dilution rate do you use it at please?
          The love of gardening is a seed once sown never dies ...

Comment

Hans Mum - I don't measure anything. Just a gloop of this and a slosh of that.

Roughly 1:10, although if the comfrey tea looks weak I will slosh more into the watering can.

Comment

Hans Mum - I don't measure anything. Just a gloop of this and a slosh of that.

Roughly 1:10, although if the comfrey tea looks weak I will slosh more into the watering can.
              thats brill just wanted a 'rough' idea
              The love of gardening is a seed once sown never dies ...

Comment

I am a new plot holder & never made this before, but sounds useful.

To make this fertiliser,
                Do you put the nettles in the plastic bottles - with water - or just on their own to wilt down as it were??? sorry, if its a silly question, but when you ar new, you really dont know.

Comment

Nettles/Comfrey + Water + 3 weeks = fertiliser

Comment

What are nettles? I take my dump trailer to a friends turkey farm and get tons of turkey poop let it sit for a year then till it in.

Comment

Nettles/Comfrey + Water + 3 weeks = fertiliser
                      Have you ever had any explode with the gasses generated TS!
                      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
                        Have you ever had any explode with the gasses generated TS!
                        No, not never

here's a pic of my comfrey, and bottles ready to be filled.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Two_Sheds; 17-04-2009, 03:29 PM.

Comment

Hi

much appreciated Snadger that is so useful!

In case anyone wonders

comfrey I put a load in a sort of bucket with a few inches or so of water and leave 3 ish weeks and then dilute to water comfrey : water 1:10

nettles the same but I think last year I did 1:5, comfrey much more diluted than nettle as it is more powerful I presume

I always soak them in water, lasted me the whole season last year I didn't mind the smell!
                          sometimes you can place comfrey leaves at the base of fruit bushes (not touching the stems) and leave them to rot down also. Give ur comfrey some manure springtime to boost them also.

Has anyone kept the liquid for next season? I had some over but thought it might not keep

thanks everyone!

Comment

Originally posted by Saraheliz View Post
                            Give ur comfrey some manure springtime to boost them also.

Has anyone kept the liquid for next season? I had some over but thought it might not keep
                            The last cut of the year goes back to the comfrey as a mulch, to feed it (I don't use manure)

I pour the dregs on my compost heap and start again in April - I made my first batch y'day

Comment

I have a small barrel of super strength stuff next to my 1000Litre water container. Both have taps on them. I put some of last years in the bottom of my watering can and filled it up with water from the container.

Certainly smells the same as last year!

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X