Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bread in my compost ?

Hi there.
    I wonder can I put bread in my compost bin ?

I've done it without any problem. Some might say that it'll attract rats, but I've not had a problem with it.

Steven
    http://www.geocities.com/nerobot/Bir...shingThumb.jpg

Comment

Thanks for that as Ive got quite a few scraps of bread around and apparently its not good to feed the birds on bread. Also I have three cats who are very good rat catchers so fingers crossed I can reuse my homemade bread now.

Comment

I personally wouldn't put it on compost heap..........mine goes to the chooks who recycle it before I add it to the compost heap!
        My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Leftover bread?
          What's that then? Kind of like leftover wine?
          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Bread pudding, bread and butter pudding, Bread sauce, Sage and onion stuffing, breadcrumb coatings.......
            When the Devil gives you Cowpats - make Satanic Compost!

Comment

I know I do reuse soooo much of it (freezer full of above goodies) but with homemade bread, even though I wrap it, its a bit stale the next day (not that I'm bothered) but if no-one wants toast for brekkies then it sits around for another day. I suppose I just wanted to be as eco/tight as poss and reuse everything. You would have thought with 5 of us in the house there wouldn't be so much as a crumb left !

Comment

Originally posted by newbieveggie View Post
                i know i do reuse soooo much of it (freezer full of above goodies) but with homemade bread, even though i wrap it, its a bit stale the next day (not that i'm bothered) but if no-one wants toast for brekkies then it sits around for another day. I suppose i just wanted to be as eco/tight as poss and reuse everything. You would have thought with 5 of us in the house there wouldn't be so much as a crumb left !
                get some chooks!:d
                My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                  What's that then? Kind of like leftover wine?
                  I thought that was a myth - I've never seen any

I put mouldy white bread (the stuff that the menfolk of the house forget about and leave in a plastic bag in the back of the bread basket - eeww!) in the green wheelie bin - don't really want it in my own compost, as I only have a little wormery at home, and I'm certainly not going to lug it all the way to the lottie!

My wholemeal crusts get left out to dry (so they don't go mouldy) then soaked in warm water and fed to the chooks.
                  Last edited by Eyren; 07-04-2009, 01:50 PM.

Comment

Mmm I would so love to have some chooks but Im a bit worried that as I'm out at work and I have three cats and know diddly squat about keeping them that it would all go horribly wrong. Are they easy to keep ? Do they suffer badly with pests and diseases ? I would really like an eglu so that I can move them around to new patches where I have dug but that costs loads.

Comment

maybe add a bit more salt or sugar or both to your bread recipe :& (that is meant to be a slurping smiley)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X