Suggestion for GYO magazine

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestion for GYO magazine

As you chaps know, I think GYO is the best and I don't even look at any other magazines re: gardening!
    Just had a thought! On the front cover where you show the main titles of the articles, could you poss put the page number? (I've seen this on womens magazines). It would help when finding the particular article you are interested in.
    Just an idea!
    Best wishes
    DDL
    Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

I will put your suggestion forward DDL.
    [

Comment

Thanks LJ - it was just a thought! DDL
      Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

I've seen some magazines do it in the contents page - they have a list under a heading relating to the titles on the front cover, then everything else comes after that. That works quite well for some mags.

I often do daft things which I try and keep quiet (senior moments!) but I perhaps should tell you about this one - shouldn't really ........ a GYO mag a couple of months ago had on the front cover Learn the Secrets of Veg Gardeners. I looked everywhere for the article, and it was a long time before I realised it was a description of what GYO Mag was. Hmmm .....
        ~
        Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
        ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

just think it would be a quicker way of finding articles.....was looking for the one re: preparing the ground, for a query on the Vine - took a good few minutes to find it...not complaining though - but could be worth looking at? DDL
          Bernie aka DDL

Comment

The front cover is to attract people to buy the mag. The contents page tells them where to find things.

Comment

yes, but no, but yes, but no........I sometimes struggle to find the article on the front page in the mag.... DDL
              Bernie aka DDL

Comment

Don't some mags hi-light the title of the article from the front cover (within the contents page) so it stands out from the rest. that could work.

Comment

Yes, it's usually headed something like "On the Front Cover..." I agree something to making find these articles easier would help. As it is I have to read the whole magazine to get to the bit I want.

Or maybe that's the whole point.
                  Bright Blessings
                  Earthbabe

If at first you don't succeed, open a bottle of wine.

Comment

i get gyo every month and enjoy it throughly and i also get kg mag and i have to say it just beats gyo for articles as it goes into a little more depth which for me as compleat newcomer to the allotment scene is very help full
                    i think both mags could try to show more items aimed at newbies like showing how to make use of bottles for cloches or how to make a hoped cloches
                    Last edited by Lesley Jay; 08-10-2006, 08:41 PM. Reason: pressed the wrong button (doh!!!)
                    PRESTON NORTH END
                    xbox gamertag billybobs
                    add me to your friends list if you got what it takes

Comment

a short list outlining seeds to plant this month etc- I get confused what should be planted when & although i read gyo I often forget what I should be doing... a nice concise tear out list that I can pin to my shed shelf would be sooooooo useful
                      How can a woman be expected to be happy with a man who insists on treating her as if she were a perfectly normal human being.”

Comment

That's a nice idea sunbeam. Although the sections for what to do are there I don't carry the mag to the lottie so something v. portable like that would be good. Most of us rely on some sort of wall chart/diary I think to remind ourselves what we want to be doing when. I'm usually consulting my moon chart as well.

You will be pleased to know I don't have a piece of seaweed hanging outside for weather forecasting.
                        Bright Blessings
                        Earthbabe

Comment

That's an idea actually. How about a free wall chart of the year in their Dec issue, with tips for what to do each month? Although I suppose they might think people won't need to buy the magazine then, but we would wouldn't we, because we'd want more detail than just 'dig runner bean trench'.

Comment

If there was a tear out short list of things to do, sow or plant in the magazine, could this be repeated on the website as a pdf, so a copy could be printed off. This would also be handy for the special offer cut out strips. Just a thought , but I hate defacing magazines in this way; I later end up wondering what was on the reverse page.
                            Live each day as if it was your last because one day it will be

Comment

Originally posted by skegblade View Post
                              ......... so a copy could be printed off. This would also be handy for the special offer cut out strips. Just a thought , but I hate defacing magazines in this way; I later end up wondering what was on the reverse page.
                              I agree skegblade. I took to photocopying mine (we have a 3-in-1 printer thingy) but this month's mag doesn't have a tick box form so I entered online.
                              Bright Blessings
                              Earthbabe

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X