transporting manure?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• transporting manure?

My friend runs a stables and has said I can have as much manure (at various rotted stages) as i like.

However I have no way except my car of getting it here.

Can anyone come up with clever ways to carry manure in the car?

So far I have thought of an Ikea bag, or buckets.

Any thoughts? And I need to be able to lift it in and out of the car (mondeo)

Thanks

The stables I collect my manure bag it into plastic feed bags. I just put an old quilt cover in my boot and then load up

Might use these bags to grow some of my potato's in...hmmm
    aka Neil

Comment

So maybe old cpmpost bags?

I guess the important thing is to line the boot first!

Comment

Originally posted by janeyo View Post
        So maybe old cpmpost bags?

I guess the important thing is to line the boot first!
        definitely well line the boot, they have a tendency to leak as FionaH found out on Wednesday
        Vive Le Revolution!!!
        'Lets just stick it in, and see what happens?'
        Cigarette FREE since 07-01-09

Comment

i reckon you should borrow a shopping trolley from asda line it with black bags so it doesn't fall through the holes ...... and go for a little walk

Comment

Friend of mine uses IKEA bags, says they work really well - may be borrowing them in a few weeks time!

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Bendy buckets, but they are about a fiver each
              Tubtrugs® - The Range
              All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I used to move some in the boot of my Espace. I used old compost bags and thick black bin bags, but was uber careful to line the boot, as the first time I did it, I didnt unload them straight away for a reason that escapes me, and it leeched through the tiny holes in the compost bags.
                If its reasonably fresh though, line the boot, fill the bags and get it in the heap
                Bob Leponge
                Life's disappointments are so much harder to take if you don't know any swear words.

Comment

Go to Poundland and buy a boot liner or a tarp and rubble bags.
                  Line boot with it.
                  Then use rubble bags for the poo.

I always split the top of compost bags and the reuse them 6-7 times. I always have a few in the boot with a entrenching tool. never know when you will find a pile of Manure,soil, sand, wood chips, compost.

Was in the garden centre once and manager and boy were discussing the pile of split bags of mixed compost and what to do with them...I went over and offered him £20 for the lot.

He thougth I was mad but there were about 30 bags. I put the seats down undid my liner and piled them in.

Took me 3 trips but I got them all and took a broom on the last trip and sweeped up every list bit. The manager was well impressed and thought he had done a good deal....and so did i.
                  My phone has more Processing power than the Computers NASA used to fake the Moon Landings

Comment

hi u could always fill compost bags half full u should be able to lift them and get a fair amount in your boot per trip or if your friend has a traylor u could arsk her to deliver to your veg patch and dump if u are willing to fill it up for her
                    regards longpod

Comment

Most compost bags have breathing holes in them so I wouldn't fancy them full of poo in my car!

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

I've just had 50 sacks of mushroom compost delivered at home. They are in strong(?!) black bin bags. I'm going to transport them to the lottie a few at a time (to try to save my back ).

I've got one of those plastic coated picnic rugs which I am going to line the back of my car with - I'm hopefully (weather permitting) going to do it this weekend.

If my plans works, I'll let you know.................if not, I won't, as I'll still be disinfecting my car!

The really good thing is, my back garden is mainly made up of mushroom compost (there was no soil) and the flowers this summer were fantastic! Hopefully this will work the same for my veg!

Bernie aka DDL Mmm, now where did I put that rug?

PS I intend to have the wheelbarrow right up against the boot to just put the sacks in, again, to save my back.
                        Last edited by dexterdoglancashire; 04-02-2009, 06:15 PM.
                        Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

Line the boot REALLY well, use old compost bags or go to your local builders yard, where you can buy extra strong thick plastic bags, that you can reuse over and over again, ideal for muck!!!
                          Dont worry about tomorrow, live for today

Comment

If you have got a tow-bar on your car you could get alend of a neighbours trailer as horse manure can smell a bit

Comment

Well, I've had a very successful morning, transporting my bags of mushroom compost to the lottie. I did 3 hours - not a lot you may think, but they were very heavy and I'd had enough!
                              The picnic rug worked extremely well, with the waterproof side uppermost, and I just pulled it out from the back of the car and shook any bits onto the garden afterwards - we need the car tonight as Dexter is going to visit his grandma (a great treat as far as Dexter is concerned!) and he goes in the back of my car.
                              Will finish off the job tomorrow.
                              PS the car doesnt smell (well, too bad anyway! )
                              Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X