No announcement yet.

How many compost bins do you have?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We have three. They are in a sunny position and when one is full I move on to the next. By the time I move back to the first it's half empty (and it ain't half hot mum!) The secret is quick decompostition.
    Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

I've got two daleks and a big wooden composter at home, and a growing heap next to a pile of pallets at the lottie which will eventually become a shiney new composter.

Comment

I've a green Johanna and two others in the garden - stuff gets put in the Johanna, and when it's composted gets put in one of the others to age.

Up the allotment I've a tumbler from Freecycle, and I've a dalek waiting to go up there as well.

Comment

We have two daleks, one Komp 250 (who else waited months to get one of these from their Council last year?), and a meter square 'pallet' style wooden job made from an old double bed!
          Last edited by pjmt; 17-06-2008, 02:28 PM.

Comment

I have just got round to ordering 2x330 litre from Recylcle Now.

Have also repaired my water butts so feeling pleasantly smug at the moment
            Last edited by dandamegs; 17-06-2008, 04:33 PM.

Comment

Those who have pallet's , where did you get them from ? I looked online but had no luck.Any ideas ?
              Live long and prosper.

http://s177.photobucket.com/albums/w213/jojo333_photos/

Comment

You can get pallets from building sites/ behind stores (The Range, Topps Tiles etc) if you ask nicely!
                We only have two bins but they're big wooden square things and I find with chicken poo and grass clippings they rot down quickly

Comment

I have three made out of Pallets, one made from a Anerson Shelter, 7 daleks plus a plie of Manure, pile of tree chipping, pile of Coucil Compost. Two daleks at home.

I have the local gardening company drop off 9 binbags of grass a week.

But the bins are still hungry.
                  My phone has more Processing power than the Computers NASA used to fake the Moon Landings

Comment

Originally posted by janeyo View Post
                    Hi, I have got 3 bins, the plastic dalek ones. 2 big and one smaller.

The question is how many bins do people have? I cannot see me not filling all of them and then what do I do with the new waste? I can fill a bin within 3 lawn mows and 3 chicken cleans. The lawns are huge. Our local council has just reduced our brownbag collection to 4 a fortnight. I can fill a brownbag with one lawnmow! So what do people do with extra stuff when the bins are full?

I have one doing it's stuff - ready in a couple of months. One just full and ready for first turn. And one half full. The first one wil not be ready before the third one is full. I can't really have any more bins.

janeyo
                    Janeyo I'd get on to your council & say you need more collections of garden waste not less. Our council has given out large wheelie bins for garden waste which they collect every other week, I don't have one though as we don't have a lawn & manage to get most of our stuff in the two 'Dalek' type bins I have & a Bokashi bin in the kitchen. You could see if any of your neighbours would like any spare garden waste for their bins or any local allotments or just try putting leaves & a mixture of garden waste in black bin bags with some holes punched in them & leave them somewhere out of the way to break down a little until you have room in one of your bins.
                    Into every life a little rain must fall.

Comment

I've got one large dalek at home which gets the kitchen waste and the odd large bag of grass clippings from my gran's garden (we don't have clippings anymore - tiny lawn so a strimmer kinda mower).

And I have another large dalek on the plot which gets plot weeds and veg remains, and lots of coffee grounds and the contents of my office caddy most weeks (goes into home one if necessary).

I find both rot down quite a lot in the heat of summer, even when it doesn't feel warm outside. The one on the plot is slower - I think I need a bit more moisture in that one to really get it cooking. But I do plan on getting a bunch of pallets from the local builder's suppliers and making a pallet heap at the back of the plot when I have time to clear that space (hopefully over this winter) - they've already said I can have as many as I want for free, I just have to collect them myself.

Comment

we have 3 daleks on the go at home two are ready for emptying and one has just been filled up with all the usual stuff gona mow the grass and top it up later on if it dnt rain
                        PRESTON NORTH END
                        xbox gamertag billybobs
                        add me to your friends list if you got what it takes

Comment

2 daleks at home and 1 pile at the lotty. I must admit the 2 at home are always full. just manage to turn them and use some and they are full again. Do use them for guinea pig waste. And when you are cleaning the hutches out twice a week in summer it soon mounts up.
                          Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful..William Morris

Comment

I have 2 daleks but it ain't enough!
                            The greatness comes not when things go always good for you,but the greatness comes when you are really tested,when you take,some knocks,some disappointments;because only if youv'e been in the deepest valley can you ever know how magnificent it is to be on the highest mountain.

Comment

One dalek and a normal round bin with holes in. Only a small garden, but I think I need more, too!!

Comment

hi all we have 3 4x4 compost bins for waste and grass cuttinge 1 5x5 full of horse manure 2 darleks full of leaf mould. i never pass an oppertunity to collect from local pub all their peelings

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X