How many compost bins do you have?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many compost bins do you have?

Hi, I have got 3 bins, the plastic dalek ones. 2 big and one smaller.

The question is how many bins do people have? I cannot see me not filling all of them and then what do I do with the new waste? I can fill a bin within 3 lawn mows and 3 chicken cleans. The lawns are huge. Our local council has just reduced our brownbag collection to 4 a fortnight. I can fill a brownbag with one lawnmow! So what do people do with extra stuff when the bins are full?

I have one doing it's stuff - ready in a couple of months. One just full and ready for first turn. And one half full. The first one wil not be ready before the third one is full. I can't really have any more bins.

janeyo

I only have one, and fill it with a lawn mow, but then it reduces down pretty quick. We have a small garden too. Grass clippings with newspaper are great for clay.

Comment

i have 2 one dalek and one for all the larger stuff twigs and stuff i put leaves in a black sack and leave and grass cuttings i have use mainly this year for my potatoes, got 3 waters butts though and an old 40 litre water tank

Comment

I have 3 daleks and a huge pile of tree choppings, general garden junk etc. (sounds dreadful but the bit of garden it is all on was full of glass and cement chunks and impossible to clear as everything has to come through the house). I had 2 daleks last year and ran out of space for grass cuttings etc. They are all empty at the moment (trying to get out and mow the grass now) but I shouldn't think that will last long.
        Happy Gardening,
        Shirley

Comment

Six.

And they always seem to be full!

Mark

Vegetable Kingdom blog

Comment

I have 3 and each on can hold about 10 wheely bins worth of compost , so i never runout of space.
            ---) CARL (----
            ILFRACOMBE
            NORTH DEVON

a seed planted today makes a meal tomorrow!

www.freewebs.com/carlseawolf

http://mountain-goat.webs.com/

now in blog form ! UPDATED 15/4/09

Comment

We have 4 in the actual garden [one dalek, 2 plastic dustbins and one wooden one made by yours truly], one in the courtyard [dustbin] which contains the fresh from the kitchen stuff; and one huge pile [in a builders bag at the moment] at the lottie which is just a pile of stuff like mown down weeds and dug up roots.

Comment

When mine get too full I put the grass cuttings on the veggie patch as mulch

Comment

I just have 1 dalek and a heap at bottom of the garden that i cover with carpet's .My cat's are big fan's of the heap ,they sleep on it in the day.
                  Live long and prosper.

http://s177.photobucket.com/albums/w213/jojo333_photos/

Comment

11, 10 daleks and a water butt with the bottom cut out, I have been a bit slack this year but I usually collect hoss muck and keep the bins filled, the site manager said when he took on his plot he made a bean trench filled with muck and compost and he moved the beans every year untill all the plot had be covered, I am doing this with my compost bins a bit of forward planning and the bins filled this year will be spread on the ground for the crops that will need it most next year.

Comment

Grass clippings are used as a mulch, esp. for potatoes.
                      Kitchen waste goes in the guinea pigs.
                      Anything leftover goes in my compost bins: one Dalek, and one 6' x 6' heap. They rot down really quickly in this warm weather.
                      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I have 3 and am considering getting a 4th one. I use my grass clippings for mulch too!
                        Last edited by lainey lou; 16-06-2008, 07:13 PM.
                        Imagination is everything, it is a preview of what is to become.

Comment

We have 2 dalek style, 1 green johanna, 1 green cone, 3 pallet compost heaps and 3 worm farms, occasionally run out of space around the end of harvest time for a while, but it evens out later.

MrsB x
                          Last edited by MrsBond; 16-06-2008, 07:12 PM.

Comment

Three one metre square pallet jobbies!

Ones filled with a mixture of well rotted horse muck which I collected and well rotted compost, which I made. This is the heap I'm drawing from at the mo. The middle one is rotting away nicely and the other end one is going to be filled with leafy woodchippings we get delivered from a local tree surgeon.
                            The way the weather is just now, the leaf litter bin should be ready for use in a month or two!
                            Also have a large bin full of rotting comfrey leaves for liquid feed.
                            My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                            to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Two Daleks and a pallet heap at home and one large pallet-made heap at the field - 4 pallets long by two deep - which will be full by the end of July so will need to construct another one then.
                              Rat

British by birth
                              Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
                              http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X