Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My compost bin is overflowing with worms...

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

would a jiffy bag be a good way to post worms? seedlings on ebay are safe that way.

Comment

Just a hint, i buy dendra worms from the local fishing tackle shop, just a couple of quid for a great big tupperware full of them- cheaper than i've seen online
      Last edited by craigpugh; 27-04-2008, 10:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ClayGarden View Post
        would a jiffy bag be a good way to post worms? seedlings on ebay are safe that way.
        Use a plastic tub from the chinese takeaway and a bit of compost.
        Blogging at..... www.thecynicalgardener.wordpress.com

Comment

Originally posted by seasprout View Post
          Use a plastic tub from the chinese takeaway and a bit of compost.
          with the post office the way it is (letter sized stuff etc) i hardly think a rigid plastic tub is an economic way of posting anything through the post.

Comment

I've got one of those massive sacks that you get sand delivered in and I'm going to make a small envelope sized package out of that as it's a breathable mesh fabric sort of thing. I'll put the worms in that with some soil and then put that in a small cardboard box. I was going to use a jiffy padded envelope, but I'm worried they'd get squashed, or suffocate.

Comment

fair enough, good point about air eskymo

Comment

Does anyone know about slugs in compost? I have small white ones in mines and don't know whether to worry about it or not.

Comment

slugs just eat they dont recycle what they eat

Comment

slugs still poo though, what they eat has to come out

Comment

If you've got tiny white slugs in your compost you've got baby monsters growing! Spread some slug pellets on the surface of your compost, then turn them in after a few days. Repeat until all baby monsters have disappeared.
                      Do NOT use slug-infested compost anywhere near your garden!.

Comment

Thank them! The worms, I mean. I bought Red Wigglers for my worm box.
                        Last edited by bShillinger; 01-05-2012, 06:28 AM. Reason: clarification

Comment

Originally posted by pebbles View Post
                          Does anyone know about slugs in compost? I have small white ones in mines
                          Originally posted by beolight View Post
                          slugs just eat they dont recycle what they eat
                          Slugs (and snails) are detritivores, so they are an important part of the composting process. If they find enough to eat in your compost bin, they have to reason to leave it ~ they will live, eat, breed and die in the compost heap (snails are more roaming, they can go anywhere because their house is on their back).
                          Slug eggs are consumed by ground beetles and other things: don't worry that your heap is going to be breeding a super army of slugs
                          http://www.cheshirewildlifetrust.co....vice_slugs.pdf
                          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X