Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I understand that it is not a good idea to put spent tomato plants in the compost bin at the end of the season due to precautions against diseases or blight and also seeds. But is it ok to compost the leaves and side shoots from tomato plants? I have a empty compost bag that is full with the leaves and shoots from my plants and I am wondering what is the best use for these.
    Any advice welcome please.
    BumbleB

I have raked the soil and planted the seeds
    Now I've joined the army that fights the weeds.

Comment

Wait... everyone seems to have skipped over the fact that some of you are clearly weeing in you compost bins

My bf goes mental and calls me a hobo when he sees me trying to rescue carrot peeling to put in mine. You must all have very understanding other halfs!

Comment

My OH is very obliging! It saves him coming back into the house all the time!
        Life is too short for drama & petty things!
        So laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly!

Comment

Originally posted by Nickerly View Post
          Wait... everyone seems to have skipped over the fact that some of you are clearly weeing in you compost bins

My bf goes mental and calls me a hobo when he sees me trying to rescue carrot peeling to put in mine. You must all have very understanding other halfs!
          Just wait till you are stopping at every skip and dragging out all the good stuff for the allotment.
          My phone has more Processing power than the Computers NASA used to fake the Moon Landings

Comment

Originally posted by NOG View Post
            Just wait till you are stopping at every skip and dragging out all the good stuff for the allotment.
            Got there...I've got quite a nice collection of bricks now thanks to the skip down the road!
            Current Executive Board Members at Ollietopia Inc:
            Snadger - Director of Poetry
            RedThorn - Chief Interrobang Officer
            Pumpkin Becki - Head of Dremel Multi-Tool Sales & Marketing and Management Support
            Jeanied - Olliecentric Eulogy Minister
            piskieinboots - Ambassador of 2-word Media Reviews

WikiGardener a subsidiary of Ollietopia Inc.

Comment

there you go.....next the neighbours will be huming the Steptoe and son music soon.
              My phone has more Processing power than the Computers NASA used to fake the Moon Landings

Comment

Anyone know if you can tip beer/cider in the compost?

I know it's a far better idea to drink it, but everytime I have a poker night/party there are always 'beer crimes' (numerous half-finished cans/glasses). Seems a shame to tip them down the sink.
                Pumpkin Becki - Head of Dremel Multi-Tool Sales & Marketing and Management Support

Comment

Originally posted by OllieMartin View Post
                  Anyone know if you can tip beer/cider in the compost?
                  I can't see any problem with pouring stale beer or cider onto the heap. In fact it should help the composting process.

Comment

Originally posted by BumbleB View Post
                    I understand that it is not a good idea to put spent tomato plants in the compost bin at the end of the season due to precautions against diseases or blight and also seeds. But is it ok to compost the leaves and side shoots from tomato plants?
                    I'd be interested in this also.

Comment

If they haven't got blight, I put the lot on.After smashing the stalk up a bit. I suffer more from volunteers potato plants [MIL has a heavy hand when peeling]

Comment

I always burn my Tom and Potato tops...just to be carefull.

Comment

So can you put chili seeds or tops in the compost?
                          I'm thinking "why not?", but would the hotness (capsaicin) affect other plants?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X