This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ckfe View Post
    i read somewhere that only man wee will work on the compost heap..
    nonsense. All wee is high in nitrogen.
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

good, might have been a bit awkward asking male visitors to pee in a bottle instead of the loo

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
        But Shewee has too much hormones in it..
        My phone has more Processing power than the Computers NASA used to fake the Moon Landings

Comment

Originally posted by NOG View Post
          But Shewee has too much hormones in it..
          too many hormones for what?
          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Maybe the rumour started cos its not so easy for laydees to get the right position on top of the dalek !!
            "Happiness cannot come from without. It must come from within. It is not what we see and touch or that which others do for us which makes us happy; it is that which we think and feel and do, first for the other fellow and then for ourselves." Helen Keller

Comment

too many hormones for what?
              I'm not sure I have the will-power to avoid a million sexist responses.

...something about producing over emotional compost...must restrain myself!

No-one has mentioned ash, is there anything wrong with putting ash in there? I imagined it has similar properties to the dyson contents.

Mine includes:
              Ash
              Dyson contents
              Some grass cuttings
              Coffee grounds
              Nettles
              Fruit and Vegetable kitchen waste
              Old tea bags
              Torn up egg cartons
              Dead, dying or surplus plants, their surrounding potting compost
              Old peat pots
              Dead flowers from vases around the house
              Copious amounts of human wee (I suffer from renal failure, so my urine is high in protien, i can only assume that's good for plants!!)
              Last edited by OllieMartin; 07-06-2009, 08:22 PM.
              Current Executive Board Members at Ollietopia Inc:
              Snadger - Director of Poetry
              RedThorn - Chief Interrobang Officer
              Pumpkin Becki - Head of Dremel Multi-Tool Sales & Marketing and Management Support
              Jeanied - Olliecentric Eulogy Minister
              piskieinboots - Ambassador of 2-word Media Reviews

WikiGardener a subsidiary of Ollietopia Inc.

Comment

can you put fluff out of the tumble dryer in it? i seem to have copious amounts of the stuff!

Comment

Originally posted by ckfe View Post
                  can you put fluff out of the tumble dryer in it? i seem to have copious amounts of the stuff!
                  It can't be that much different to the contents of the hoover bag so I'd add it to the bin.

We use loose tea at home and bags for camping so at the end of the summer I used the left over bags at home and was a bit surprised to see they didn't decompose at all.
                  Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Originally posted by Bren In Pots View Post

We use loose tea at home and bags for camping so at the end of the summer I used the left over bags at home and was a bit surprised to see they didn't decompose at all.
                    i think someone on here before said that it's better to tear the bags first.. got to admit i always forget to do it though

Comment

I'll remember that if we've got leftover bags at the end of the summer. thanks
                      Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Wow - I've not been putting half that stuff in mine. Looks like my bin men will be getting a lot less in my wheelie bin from now on

We've got a Henry vacuum cleaner - can you put the paper bags from that in or would I need to empty the contents into the compost?
                        Last edited by MagicLady; 08-06-2009, 08:09 PM.
                        Love 'n' Stuff
                        Babs

My Blog - My Little Patch Of Culinary Heaven

Comment

No bung them in but give them a watering....some bits are not Bio-degradable but you can take those out when you use the compost.

Buy a wormary and you cam put your food scraps in it and you will have nothing in your bin.
                          My phone has more Processing power than the Computers NASA used to fake the Moon Landings

Comment

Thanks NOG - I've got a wormary on the wish list
                            Love 'n' Stuff
                            Babs

My Blog - My Little Patch Of Culinary Heaven

Comment

There was a thread on here to make one...or if you can get to Richmond the council there are doing the COW for £45.

Comment

So the answer is you can put just about anything organic in the dalek but be aware that potato peelings often survive decomposition and end up growing again wherever you've spread the compost. Same with tomato seeds. First year after I got the composter I also got tomato plants springing up all over the garden. Ollie mentioned ash but it depends what was burned. Ash from a coal fire is not good but wood ash is fine but you could spread that straight on the garden anyway. If you're a very heavy smoker you might get enough fag ash to make a difference...if you live long enough.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X