No announcement yet.

Baby Hedgehog

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just thinking...have you got a rabbit run or something equally fox proof to scuffle around in outdoors?

I kept mine indoors in a large cage. They liked to sleep under a couple of layers of newspaper.
    Also beware- they can climb a bit and escape if they can get a grip!
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Thanks Nicos. I gave my rabbit run away but I've got a large dog cage that I use for the chickens, so I could use that.

He seemed lethargic when I got up this morning, worried me a bit but he perked up when I gave him breakfast. They make big slurping noises when they eat. He sat in the bowl.
      I took him to the vets and left him with the nurse who's going to take his ticks out and give me a wormer for him. I was advised to use panacur for puppies. 10ml for 1kg! Not sure how to measure that, it's going to be 0.1ml for his 100grams. I have to collect him later.

Cheers Muddled! Looks like I have a new lodger

Comment

You're loving it!

Panacur is the least dangerous of the wormers. I hate to use the phrase 'more natural' but you know what I mean...being an old hippy it's the only one I will use on my dogs and is also the one licensed for use to cure lungworm.

Of course, if I'm taking the blame I get to demand more photos.....
        Is his name 'spike'?
        http://goneplotterin.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

Mine were called Spike and Fluffy
          Fluffy was the gal

Comment

How on earth does one tell?

Comment

It was easy for me cos I had one of each.
              Basically , as with most mammals, the two openings on a female are closer together, and the boys' are further apart

Here ya go ( you DID ask!!! )

Hedgehog World - A community of African Pygmy Hedgehog Owners and Breeders. - Sexing Hedgehogs

Comment

WELL!

You learn something new every day!

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                  Thanks Nicos. I gave my rabbit run away but I've got a large dog cage that I use for the chickens, so I could use that.

He seemed lethargic when I got up this morning, worried me a bit but he perked up when I gave him breakfast. They make big slurping noises when they eat. He sat in the bowl.
                  I took him to the vets and left him with the nurse who's going to take his ticks out and give me a wormer for him. I was advised to use panacur for puppies. 10ml for 1kg! Not sure how to measure that, it's going to be 0.1ml for his 100grams. I have to collect him later.

Cheers Muddled! Looks like I have a new lodger
                  As far as I am aware 0.1 ml = 0.1 grams---if you haven't already got some, you can easily buy cheap scales off tinternet that do that.
                  Feed the soil, not the plants.
                  (helps if you have cluckies)

Man v Squirrels, pigeons & Ants
                  Bob

Comment

.....as the drug squad come crashing through Scarlet's front door.....

Comment

Here he is this morning. I think he's a he - I haven't turned him upside down to get a look. He's eating and drinking and still warming up in the kitchen. The vets were brill, I couldn't get the ticks out (even though I've got the tweezers, they were tricky) the vet did the ticks and the worming
                      Attached Files

Comment

I bet he feels so much better now that he doesn't have these horrible things having lunch courtesy of him! He's looking good Scarlet...how long are you going to have to look after him?
                        sigpic

Comment

Hmm, the lady who looks after them is a 3hour drive away and she works till 6! So I will be having him for a couple of weeks at least. The vet wants to see him again next week too. He's no trouble at the moment though

Comment

Tick free, warm and no chance of predators!

Bet he's a happy little hodgepig this morning.
                            All he needs now is to become a happy BIG FAT hodgepig for the winter...

Does your compost bin have million of those little red worms? (subtle hint there)

Comment

That's one very lucky hedgehog, finding you Scarlet.

I know you're not supposed to get attached and all that, but.....does he have a name yet?

Comment

I feel a "Name that Baby Hedgehog" thingummy coming on.
                                I'd call him Teasel

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X