Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mothhawk View Post
    Great photos MBE!

As soon as I get close with a camera, the bees whizz off. How long did you wait to get that shot?
    Actually, not very long. It's a leafcutter. When it flies off you know it'll be back in two minutes with another bit of leaf.

I was more pleased with the photos of this ichneumon wasp:

But I can't get it identified because the Wild About Britain website is no more. Gutted - that was a great resource.

Sorry to hear about your beewolves.
    Attached Files
    Our England is a garden, and such gardens are not made
    By singing-'Oh how beautiful!" and sitting in the shade,
    While better men than we go out and start their working lives
    At grubbing weeds from gravel paths with broken dinner-knives. ~ Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by mothhawk View Post
      Further googling tells me each bee wolf makes up to 34 tunnels, each tunnel being provisioned with 1 - 6 bees. That's 200 bees per wasp. Next time I see it I won't just look, I'll SWAT!
      I'd never heard of Bee Wolf Wasps so had to google it None up here in Northumberland from what I can gather BUT...it looks like they prey on honey bees, not bumbles or solitary bees, so I would just enjoy it's presence as part of a natural healthy ecosystem

Beginners bees, wasps & ants: Philanthus triangulum - beewolf | BWARS

LOVE that insect hotel from Barcelona....I've got an old shelving unit in the shed which I'm going to pull out at some point but I may just see if I can use it's frame and shelves as the basis for a home for insects and other goodies on the plot
      If I'm not on the Grapevine I can usually be found here!....https://www.thecomfreypatch.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by Gillykat View Post
        LOVE that insect hotel from Barcelona....
        Me too. Sagrada familia - fine. Gaudi's house - quite good. Olympic stadium and museum - really great. Insect house in some garden - FANTASTIC!
        Our England is a garden, and such gardens are not made
        By singing-'Oh how beautiful!" and sitting in the shade,
        While better men than we go out and start their working lives
        At grubbing weeds from gravel paths with broken dinner-knives. ~ Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X