No announcement yet.

Ladybirds?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks like a cricket to me.... I have to buy the little blighters every week to feed my bearded dragon

🐞Every ☁has a silver lining🐝Every 🌸 has a 🌿

Comment

I had 2 pepper plants in my kitchen that became covered in aphids and eventually I reluctantly put them outside. They probably won't make any more peppers out there because its too cold, but the alternative was aphids crawling and flying all over my kitchen and honeydew all over the windowsill. One of the plants had so many aphids that you could hardly see the leaves or flowers.

Within 5 minutes of putting them in the garden they were surrounded by hoverflies, and I also saw a ladybird on one of the leaves. That was 3 days ago. By this morning all traces of aphids on the peppers appear to have gone - quite astonishing.

What is even more puzzling is that I have planted the peppers next to a dwarf apple tree, which has loads of aphids on the ends of its branches. These aphids are still there. The only reason I can think of is that they are being farmed by ants, and therefore possibly protected?
      Last edited by Penellype; 17-08-2013, 11:37 AM.
      A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

I've just started to see ladybirds: about 4 on the lotty. I have no idea why they are so few this year
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

have noticed ladybirds appearing this week

Comment

I haven't seen any ladybirds this year

Comment

Originally posted by Greenfingerpaula View Post
              I haven't seen any ladybirds this year
              Think they all flew down to Kent to deal with our blackfly !

Sorry, you can have them back now, I'll have a word!

Sent from my iPad using Grow Your Own Forum
              DottyR

Comment

Found a small number and a larva on my horseradish leaves - the only ones I have seen since early spring.
                The cats' valet.

Comment

I got some laundry in off the line yesterday. It had been there a couple of days or more (Yeah, I'm lazy), and in the protected areas by the pegs were masses of Earwigs, and Ladybird Larvae. Yesterday, I got some laundry in, and there were Lacewings on it.

At least they're quiet, unlike the ruddy Pigeons!
                  All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
                  Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

I haven't seen any in the garden but there seems to be loads in my house and greenhouse, unfortunately this means the aphids are having a lovely time on my apple tree! Xx

Sent from my iPhone using Grow Your Own Forum

Comment

Lots of ladybirds on the Wicklow coast!

WicklowNews.net | Ladybirds invade Wicklow coast
                      The best things in life are not things.

Comment

Sudden outbreak of big green aphids on the sweetpeas, and a few ladybirds have arrived too
                        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

There's a thistle type of plant among my wildflowers, which is covered with black aphids and an ever-increasing number of ladybirds. It's the first thing I look at whenever I go to the allotment, just to see who's winning the battle (neither side at the moment).
                          I've also noticed more and more ladybirds on my comfrey plants, not sure why. I'm planning on making some hibernation bottles for them like this
                          How to Make an Insect Hotel - UK Safari

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X