No announcement yet.

Ladybirds?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ah ha, saw two today, one on the runners and one on the nettles!

DottyR
    DottyR

Comment

Loads of ladybirds here, mostly found on my plants that are covered in blackfly. I thought "my" yellow ones were rare but I've just g@@gled and they are young ones just emerging from their pupa
      Attached Files

Comment

Still haven't seen a ladybug - haven't seen any blackfly either!! Does this mean they've scoffed them all and flown away or there's nothing here to eat so they've gone to another restaurant?

Comment

We've only had a few ladybirds this year
          Location....East Midlands.

Comment

I've had a serious black fly invasion this year, they are even on my courgettes. I've never had that before but to compensate I have tons of ladybirds in different stages all over the plants. Really quite interesting.

Comment

A week ago, no ladybirds and no blackfly, now have both, the ladybirds have arrived and found the blackfly, on the runner beans, and are now happily munching!

Not sure how it works, will they reproduce more as there is an abundant supply of food? I hope so cos would rather not have to spray the beans, but they are getting pretty covered in blackfly.

Am sure someone will know the answer to this one?

DottyR
              DottyR

Comment

Originally posted by Dorothy rouse View Post
                A week ago, no ladybirds and no blackfly, now have both, the ladybirds have arrived and found the blackfly, on the runner beans, and are now happily munching!

Not sure how it works, will they reproduce more as there is an abundant supply of food? I hope so cos would rather not have to spray the beans, but they are getting pretty covered in blackfly.

Am sure someone will know the answer to this one?DottyR
                Give it a few days Dotty, and the blackfly will all be gone. You'll just go and look one day and won't be able to find any. It amazes me every time. Nature's own little miracle workers, ladybugs.
                Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
                Endless wonder.

Comment

Thank you, I did wonder if that might be the case, definite ladybird banquet I'd say!

DottyR
                  DottyR

Comment

Nature does have a way of evening things out. More food = more predators, but then more predators = less food = less predators. lol.
                    I have been drafted in to do some lacewing hotels with the kiddies at next weekend's open day at the wildflower centre.
                    Lacewings LOVE aphids. Just hang up the hotel where you get (or expect to get) aphids next spring, and they will crawl in and hibernate cosily, then emerge when the weather warms up next year and munch their way through the little blighters.

“If your knees aren't green by the end of the day, you ought to seriously re-examine your life.”

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Charles Churchill : A dog will look up on you; a cat will look down on you; however, a pig will see you eye to eye and know it has found an equal

Comment

I have a few ladybirds on my sweetcorn plants .... they seem to be congregating on the top part that makes the seed thingys
                      Last edited by dim; 28-07-2013, 04:06 PM.

Comment

Can anyone please tell me what these are? There were 2 of them, about an inch size, looked a bit like grasshoppers? Or locust !!!

Scary!

DottyR
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Dorothy rouse; 06-08-2013, 10:16 PM.
                        DottyR

Comment

A female cricket maybe?

Comment

Sorry I put this post in wrong place, tried to delete, unsuccessfully.

Female cricket? Are they really, sitting on my tomatoes.

DottyR
                            DottyR

Comment

Its my best guess Dotty. It has cricketty legs and an ovipostor

Comment

Originally posted by mothhawk View Post
                                Give it a few days Dotty, and the blackfly will all be gone. You'll just go and look one day and won't be able to find any. It amazes me every time. Nature's own little miracle workers, ladybugs.
                                It's happening! they have also been joined in the ' feasting' by some other 'bugs', you were right!

Nature is SO clever! And I haven't had to use any bug spray!

DottyR
                                Last edited by Dorothy rouse; 07-08-2013, 03:42 PM.
                                DottyR

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X