RSPCA centres inundated with prickly patients

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by catbasket View Post
    We had a little scare as both hogs had a bit of a reaction the first day or two after being given the first dose of wormer, but they have both recovered and are getting heavier.

The previously heavier hog was the worst affected but is now up to 604g this morning.

The hog which at first was the smaller wasn't as badly affected and is 626g this morning.

They were both making a chuntering kind of noise to each other late yesterday when I checked on them so I grabbed the video camera ...
    This is normal. The big one could even have weighed more because of the worm burden! One of our heaviest little ones had a big healthy stomach on it and it was all worms! She looked really rough after after worming. I think I remember being told their stomachs can be quite sore after the purge, too. They will bounce back - be prepared for mega food consumption.

Without wishing to sound patronising, brilliant work.
    Last edited by marchogaeth; 23-12-2012, 11:41 AM.
    "A life lived in fear is a life half lived."

PS. I just don't have enough time to say hello to everyone as they join so please take this as a delighted to see you here!

Comment

Which wormer are you using?
      Gill

So long and thanks for all the fish.........

I have a blog http://areafortyone.blogspot.co.uk

I'd rather be a comma than a full stop.

Comment

Panacur paste syringe for cat/dog/puppies as dispensed by the wildlife vet who worked out the dosage for us - they had their fifth and final dose this morning in their mealworms.

Comment

Originally posted by catbasket View Post
          Panacur paste syringe for cat/dog/puppies as dispensed by the wildlife vet who worked out the dosage for us - they had their fifth and final dose this morning in their mealworms.
          That is a disgusting image! (Mostly because we feed live meal worms to our dragons.) Seriously, if you do them again do try to get it in their mouths so you can be precise. Underdosing is a real problem.

PS. I just don't have enough time to say hello to everyone as they join so please take this as a delighted to see you here!

Comment

Maybe 'prescribed' was the word I was looking for

Originally posted by marchogaeth View Post
            Underdosing is a real problem.
            These two are absolutely crazy about mealworms and there is very little wasted. Also the vet prescribed (yes, much better ) a slightly larger dose (by my calculations) and recommended five doses rather than the standard three. Hopefully with that combination the worms didn't stand a chance.

I just wouldn't feel confident handling a hog and attempting to feed it worming paste unless I had been shown how to do it properly. Might have to do one of the hog carer training courses ...

Xmas morning weigh-in: 626g and 643g.

Appreciate all the tips and encouragement, btw. Thanks!

Comment

New Year's Eve morning weigh-in: 737g and 761g.

They are both still eating mostly mealworms but they seem to enjoy a little dry cat food, sunflower hearts, peanuts and sultanas on the side.

Comment

Have you tried fresh cat food?

Comment

I used to use telmin as it's got a bit more ooomf - nowadays it's injectibles all the way where possible as it's easier to get the dosage right.

Keep up the good work - and as march says wet cat food is great. I tried to keep mine off mealworms as some of them get addicted .
                  Gill

So long and thanks for all the fish.........

I have a blog http://areafortyone.blogspot.co.uk

I'd rather be a comma than a full stop.

Comment

Is there any particular wet cat food you'd recommend?

Comment

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X