RSPCA centres inundated with prickly patients

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RSPCA centres inundated with prickly patients

Yesterday the RSPCA issued a press release [Click here] about the number of hedgehogs that have been brought into their rescue centres this year - 1,669 by the end of November.

“It is hard to say exactly what is causing it. It’s certainly possible the wet summer could have had an effect – but it can be a mystery sometimes.

“What is certain is that anything people can do to help could make a real difference right now – whether it is donations of newspaper to give the hogs somewhere to burrow or sponsoring a hedgehog.”

The RSPCA recommends people worried about the hedgehogs in their garden may be too small to survive the winter can give them a helping hand by feeding them things like dog or cat food or even food scraps such as minced meat or scrambled eggs, and fresh water. It also may help to leave them a hedgehog-friendly area of the garden with heaps of leaves and brushwood for them to hibernate in - or a purpose built hedgehog box.
    By coincidence, back on Friday 30th November at just before 4pm, we spotted a small hog looking for food under the bird feeders. From its size and the fact it was out so early (not even properly twilight) we knew it was going to struggle to survive. Internet to the rescue and we put out a small bowl of mealworms and a bowl of water. All the mealworms were gone in the morning, but we couldn't be sure what had eaten them.

Next we bought a Hogitat (hedgehog house) and commercial hedgehog food. After a couple of nights we added sultanas to the mix as the most popular part of the commercial food was the dried fruit. We were fairly sure it was a hog that was eating the food from the - ahem - evidence he left behind.

Then on Wednesday about 6.20pm we had a peak under the Hogitat roof and there was indeed a hedgehog eating the food but it was much bigger than the one we'd seen on the Friday. Then yesterday confirmation we have at least two hogs using the feeding station as the smaller hog was back -

For an idea of scale the bigger bowls are 5"/13cm in diameter.

Tip for anyone thinking of buying a hedghog house - they aren't as weatherproof as they should be. I've painted the outside of ours and put a few offcuts of wood underneath to raise the floor off the ground slightly to help keep the inside dry. Today's heavy rain is going to test how good a job I've done

And if anyone (we have a hog expert here, I believe?) could give us further tips to help our hogs survive the winter we'd be very grateful.
    Attached Files

Brilliant and well done. Hedgehogs are brilliant to have in the garden and are worth feeding to save on the price of slug pellets alone.

Note to VC. something to add to your economy thread

Comment

We have a timber hedgehog house which lives under a log pile in the top corner of the garden. My mum saw it and wanted one. Then she bought herself another two. All three live in her hedge line under logs supplied by us. All four have had hedgehogs in. We scrunched straw into ours.
      Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

Someone better tell Bren - it could eat the slug in her kitchen!

My Mum had a Dog that would scream loudly in the garden at night, then bring a Hedgehog back with her... Nutter! Mum always knew when there were 'Hogs, by the noise the Dog made!
        All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
        Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

I forgot to add, they like cat food and not bread/milk.
          Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

Originally posted by Glutton4... View Post
            Someone better tell Bren - it could eat the slug in her kitchen!

My Mum had a Dog that would scream loudly in the garden at night, then bring a Hedgehog back with her... Nutter! Mum always knew when there were 'Hogs, by the noise the Dog made!
            Brings back some memories G4 - ones my neighbours would prefer to forget if they were twitching curtains.
            Middle of the night, my dog barking in the garden, get out of bed, go out into garden, find dog barking at hedgehog, spend sometime talking to hedgehog by the light of a full moon, stand up feeling a cool breeze on my skin - realise that I am starkers

Comment

This is my Grandson (with my motorcycle gloves on) checking to see if our resident hedgehog is heavy enough to see it through the winter.

Thankfully it is over the minimum required weight.

Cheers, Tony.
              Semper in Excrementem Altitvdo Solvs Varivs.

Comment

Our local rescue is looking for foster parents, I must give them a ring. I'm just concerned about ticks and fleas though (we have a dog) ~ the hoglet I rescued in the summer was infested
                All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Ok first of all grab that small hog and weigh it - if it is under 650g you will need to one of two things

either take it to your local carer or take it in yourself. The second option is a bigger commitment, you will need somewhere warmish , a greenhouse or shed is ideal and a hutch or large unescapable box ( they can climb believe me I've had them get out of things you wouldn't believe).

If you take it in you'll need to provide suitable bedding ( hay not straw ) , torn up newspaper which will need to be changed every other day or so and feeding everyday with cat biscuits, meat based food etc.

If you call British Hedgehog Preservation Society they will give you the number of your nearest carer.

Two sheds - don't worry bout the fleas they are hedgehog specific , tics are a bit different but easy to remove and drown in hot soapy water.

I would encourage everyone to foster if they can - it's pretty easy and very rewarding.

BHPS number is 01584 890801 or PM me if you need - thanks
                  Gill

So long and thanks for all the fish.........

I have a blog http://areafortyone.blogspot.co.uk

I'd rather be a comma than a full stop.

Comment

Originally posted by Piggle View Post
                    don't worry bout the fleas they are hedgehog specific
                    That depends who you ask.

"Hedgehog Flea (Archaeopsyllus erinacei)
                    They are generally associated with hedgehogs, but occasionally brought indoors by dogs, cats and humans; also found in gardens and outbuildings" http://www.pestcontrolonline.com/ins...hog%20flea.pdf
                    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                      Our local rescue is looking for foster parents, I must give them a ring. I'm just concerned about ticks and fleas though (we have a dog) ~ the hoglet I rescued in the summer was infested
                      Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                      That depends who you ask.

"Hedgehog Flea (Archaeopsyllus erinacei)
                      They are generally associated with hedgehogs, but occasionally brought indoors by dogs, cats and humans; also found in gardens and outbuildings" http://www.pestcontrolonline.com/ins...hog%20flea.pdf
                      I'd go with Piggle on this TS, my experience is that the fleas only jump if the hedgehog is unwell. As people know from another thread my cats share their shed with hedgehogs and they really don't have 'pig fleas as far as I'm concerned only ever a few very obviously cat ones. I've always understood that the fleas can't last on anything that isn't their species past one or two bites (ditto ticks although they are horrible while they hang around.)

When we hand reared the baby hedgehogs we never had a bite and they were handled all the time.

For anyone else with undeweight hedgehogs, I would advise finding a way to worm them as well as feed them. They are riddled with worms almost from their first suckle. Our vets were brilliant they worked out the dose and we used a dog wormer. It might be possible for you to mix a liquid one in with the feed you put out.

Our barns all have two or three in them, in the cat's shed there are at least two who have squeezed into an old hay bale. I would have beleived they would go for anything so close packed if I hadn't spotted them coming in and out to tuck in with the cats. They have been firmly asleep for about six weeks now, even with their food supply they were late hibernating (see.)
                      From your point of view, I suppose you have to assess how often you and your animals would come in direct contact with the hedgehogs.

(It's taken about three hours to finish writing this so I hope it's not totally out of date now! (Had to rush out and move sheep/trim sheep's feet/move electric fences.) not just very slow typing.)
                      "A life lived in fear is a life half lived."

PS. I just don't have enough time to say hello to everyone as they join so please take this as a delighted to see you here!

Comment

Thanks for the info Gill.

The hog weighed-in at 511g yesterday evening, and we'd like to foster it if possible but we don't have a shed or greenhouse.

Would this garden storage box be suitable to put a home-made wooden hog nestbox in?

It's well sheltered, especially on the north, east and south sides and keeps the inside dry even in torrential rain - but there'll be almost no light inside especially at night.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Thanks again Gill for the help via PM

We've contacted our local rescue for further advice and two hogs are now sleeping in separate boxes in the spare room.

The larger weighed 552g yesterday evening and was a whopping 580g when weighed at cleaning out time this morning -
                          and

The smaller was 502g, now 512g this morning -

They are both back in the nest section of their boxes with fresh food, water and bedding.

There was no sign of further hog activity at the garden feeding station overnight but we'll be leaving food out for a while in case any other hogs need help.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Really glad I could assist - and those hogs look pretty healthy to me and nearly upto weight as well.

For anyone that is interested Vale Wildlife Rescue run a brilliant basic wildlife course which covers all the basics of how to look after sick hedgehogs, the risks involved to yourself and the animal, how to treat basic injuries ( worms/tics etc), how to give sub cut fluids via injection.

Caroline Gould runs the centre and is always really helpful at dispensing her expertise even if you can't get to Gloucester to get on a course.

If I can help anyone else - even if it is just to get their local centre then please please PM me.

Good luck all you current and future hog carers.
                            Gill

So long and thanks for all the fish.........

I have a blog http://areafortyone.blogspot.co.uk

I'd rather be a comma than a full stop.

Comment

We had a little scare as both hogs had a bit of a reaction the first day or two after being given the first dose of wormer, but they have both recovered and are getting heavier.

The previously heavier hog was the worst affected but is now up to 604g this morning.

The hog which at first was the smaller wasn't as badly affected and is 626g this morning.

They were both making a chuntering kind of noise to each other late yesterday when I checked on them so I grabbed the video camera ...

And on YouTube.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X