Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by redser View Post
    Thanks marchogaeth. Fair play to you
    It was the only thing to try and do after being resposible for mum's demise. I can now imagine what having twins or triplets is like ('pig's babies are much more demanding and fiddly than lambs - all four had to be fed with droppers every 2 hours for what felt like years). I had lots of help from my daughters and a nurse in the local vet. I want to say that I was always ready to hand them over to a hedgehog rescue centre if I couldn't manage but at the time the nearest one was 2 hours away and very full. As it happened we were more successful than the nurse in the vets (that year) who did a mini rescue service for injured ones.

Biscuits are good because they don't attract the flies.
    Last edited by marchogaeth; 22-09-2012, 08:45 AM.
    "A life lived in fear is a life half lived."

PS. I just don't have enough time to say hello to everyone as they join so please take this as a delighted to see you here!

Comment

Great story, will try the biscuits, cheers

Comment

I am surprisingly moved (sniff - ahem) by the thought that I haven't seen a (live) hedgehog in, probably, 30 years. Used to get them all the time in my Mum's garden when I was growing up. Lots of good people out there looking after them for us - Thanks Piggle, marchogaeth and others - you are doing sterling work. They may eat worms and beetles and not molluscs, but I would still welcome them on my plot. Maybe one day I will see another snuffling, spiky ball. Sorry, rambling now... ahem.. surreptitious eye wipe with side of hand...
        Where there's muck, there's brassicas

Comment

Well had a confirmed sighting this morning I have a sack of straw at the back of the tunnel. Was up there this morning with the young lad and noticed some straw was dragged out. Took a look and could see a little black nose! Do you reckon it will stay there to hibernate for the winter? Anything I can do to help it out? Thinking of building a wooden shelter. The sack happens to be the exact spot where I plan to dig out a small pond but there's no way I want to bother him. Maybe he would move to the new shelter.
          I feel priveledged

Comment

Originally posted by redser View Post
            Well had a confirmed sighting this morning I have a sack of straw at the back of the tunnel. Was up there this morning with the young lad and noticed some straw was dragged out. Took a look and could see a little black nose! Do you reckon it will stay there to hibernate for the winter? Anything I can do to help it out? Thinking of building a wooden shelter. The sack happens to be the exact spot where I plan to dig out a small pond but there's no way I want to bother him. Maybe he would move to the new shelter.
            I feel priveledged
            Any disturbance and he or she will be off. You could put some dry leaves/dry grass/shredded paper next to the pile in case they want to line the nest with something softer. Move your biscuit bowl a bit closer and stick in a water dish. Is the sack polythene? This can cause problems, once you are sure it's hibernating, I would cut/puncture the sack to ensure air is getting in at all points

PS. I just don't have enough time to say hello to everyone as they join so please take this as a delighted to see you here!

Comment

Thanks a lot. I'll do all that and just leave him/her alone. Yes the sack is plastic. The opening is well open as the straw is tightly stuffed inside. But I'll keep on eye on it as time goes by and see about making some air holes.

Comment

^^^^^ Good luck. If he clears off don't be too disheartened, it's a little bit early for hibernating yet and they will try out lots of places before settling.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X