Think I have a hedgehog

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Think I have a hedgehog

I noticed a few poos at the plot lately which puzzled me. They were almost black, shiny and about 1-2 inches long. Too small for a cat or dog and not like rodent pellets at all. Googled it and they look like hedgehog poos. Also noticed that bark mulch I have in the paths is disturbed and strewn around a bit in places (looking for slugs??). So fingers crossed I have a hedgehog that is hanging around munching the slugs
    Should I leave food out to feed it? I heard cat and dog food is good but dont want to encourage something into the plot like rats. Anything else? Build a shelter of some sort?
    Thanks!

I'd just build a log pile shelter.. let him search for the slugs as food

Comment

Have a read at the info from the :-

British Hedgehog Preservation Society BHPS
      Location....East Midlands.

Comment

The council dumped tons of bark in the carpark to take. Might pile some up. Would love to keep it on the plot.

Comment

Brilliant thanks Bren

Comment

Sounds great. A lot better than having a wombat!
            Ali

My blog: feral007.com/countrylife/

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

One bit of old folklore wisdom says to plant tomatoes when the soil is warm enough to sit on with bare buttocks. In surburban areas, use the back of your wrist. Jackie French

Member of the Eastern Branch of the Darn Under Nutter's Club

Comment

Try building a hedgehog feeding station and place it near the house and you may be lucky enough to see them.

This is my attempt http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ion_65155.html and it's doing very well at the moment.

For other inspiration try here Epping Forest Hedgehog Rescue - Stop Cats or Foxes stealing the hedgehog’s food

Comment

Great, thanks Buleste

Comment

I help run Warrington Hedgehog Rescue so if you have any hoggy questions I would be glad to help...........

Hedgehog poo is usually dark/brown black and tube shaped and maybe looks a bit "nutty"
                  They don't eat slugs and snails - they're probably after your earthworms and beetles
                  If you have one , you most likely have several passing through
                  It will need to be bigger than 650g once winter sets in or it won't have enough fat stored to make it through hibernation
                  If you ever see a hog out on the day please call your local hedgehog rescue
                  Gill

So long and thanks for all the fish.........

I have a blog http://areafortyone.blogspot.co.uk

I'd rather be a comma than a full stop.

Comment

Thanks Piggle. Strange about the slugs and snails, always heard they were partial. I was a grown man before I saw a hedgehog in the flesh so I have a great fascination with them now.
                    Must try take a photo of said poo

Comment

it's a common myth about the slugs and snails - too many slugs actually gives them internal parasites as they are a carrier of roundworm, lungworm etc . Many happy hours spent looking at samples through the microscope. If you take a picture post it up and I will let you know if it is hog!
                      Gill

So long and thanks for all the fish.........

I have a blog http://areafortyone.blogspot.co.uk

I'd rather be a comma than a full stop.

Comment

Originally posted by Feral007 View Post
                        Sounds great. A lot better than having a wombat!
                        Whats wrong with wombats? They look lovely

Comment

Originally posted by redser View Post
                          Thanks Piggle. Strange about the slugs and snails, always heard they were partial. I was a grown man before I saw a hedgehog in the flesh so I have a great fascination with them now.
                          Must try take a photo of said poo
                          I ended up hand rearing four about three years ago when their mum died in a drain I didn't know had lost its cover. They are the cutest of the cute when babies. Although we determinedly released ours into the wild they are still around and pretty tame:-

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...tml#post916632

This year our hay barn filling was accompanied bu careful construction and protection of tunnels for no less than three families of hedgepigs could continue their occupation. Jusding by the piles of poor, I'm feeding the cats about an extra kilo of biscuits every week just now as they frantically try to get fat before winter.

I hope you get to see you man!
                          Last edited by marchogaeth; 23-09-2012, 10:44 AM.
                          "A life lived in fear is a life half lived."

PS. I just don't have enough time to say hello to everyone as they join so please take this as a delighted to see you here!

Comment

Thanks marchogaeth. Fair play to you I'll bring some cat food up over the weekend and see what happens.

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                              Whats wrong with wombats? They look lovely
                              I wouldn't mind looking at them. But they are like an armour plated tank to live with! Dig huge holes everywhere - haven't had a horse put a leg in one yet, but it can happen. They also dig under my fences and gates so the dogs can get out............and they were excavating under my house (which is up on piles, and I'd like it to stay that way.)
                              Ali

My blog: feral007.com/countrylife/

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

One bit of old folklore wisdom says to plant tomatoes when the soil is warm enough to sit on with bare buttocks. In surburban areas, use the back of your wrist. Jackie French

Member of the Eastern Branch of the Darn Under Nutter's Club

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X