Moth identification please.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another Moth identification please!

Can anyone put a name to this moth? It flew up when I was weeding and landed on a hogweed, where it has stayed for the last hour.
    Its markings are a green/yellow that looks almost velvety.
    Attached Files

Comment

Well, I didn't know, but I had a search through me book and it's a Burnished Brass, one of the few species that has a decent common name instead of a couple of unpronounceable Latin ones. It's funny how I can learn and remember ones with common names, like cinnabar moth, tiger moth, magpie moth. Can't imagine why

Burnished Brass Diachrysia chrysitis - UKMoths

edit - its babies should be giving you a hand clearing the nettles VC. Lovely pic by the way.
      Last edited by mothhawk; 10-07-2013, 05:44 PM.
      Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
      Endless wonder.

Comment

Thanks Mothawk!! I searched that site but couldn't identify him.
        The moth is still where I left him and the sun on his wings turns them to the green of the hogweed. Couldn't get a decent photo showing it but here's another one. I'd like to see him with his wings open
        Attached Files

Comment

Sometimes treeware still has advantages over software. I flicked through my Collins Gem Guide to "Butterflies and Moths" and found it in about a minute and a half

Last edited by mothhawk; 10-07-2013, 06:56 PM. Reason: added pic
          Endless wonder.

Comment

That's the little beauty!! I'm away from my books at the moment but I'd normally go to those first too So much more satisfying

Comment

What a beautiful creature!

Comment

He's still sitting on his leaf - I've just been out with a torch to find him
                The Drinker Moth that started this thread is, embarrassingly, still in his glass coffin and sitting on the table beside me - almost a year after I promised to give it a decent burial

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                  He's still sitting on his leaf - I've just been out with a torch to find him
                  The Drinker Moth that started this thread is, embarrassingly, still in his glass coffin and sitting on the table beside me - almost a year after I promised to give it a decent burial
                  not to worry VC, I'm sure he's already "gone into the light..."
                  Endless wonder.

Comment

Endless wonder.

Comment

He's in one of those magnifying specimen jars - looking huge! He'll have to make way for another objet soon

Comment

Any idea what type of moth this is?
                        Attached Files

Comment

Man walks into a dentist and tells the receptionist he thinks he's a moth.
                          The receptionist says - This is a dentist's why did you come in here.
                          Man replies - Because the light was on.
                          "...Very dark, is the other side, very dark."

"Shut up, Yoda. Just eat your toast."

Comment

Might be a Mottled Beauty? Mottled Beauty Moth
                            My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
                            Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

Thanks Martin, what an incredible creature considering its size

Comment

Burnished Brass moth

Originally posted by mothhawk View Post
                                Well, I didn't know, but I had a search through me book and it's a Burnished Brass, one of the few species that has a decent common name instead of a couple of unpronounceable Latin ones. It's funny how I can learn and remember ones with common names, like cinnabar moth, tiger moth, magpie moth. Can't imagine why

Burnished Brass Diachrysia chrysitis - UKMoths

edit - its babies should be giving you a hand clearing the nettles VC. Lovely pic by the way.
                                Thanks for that ID, I've been searching & looking at moth pics since last August as I found one in my garden too. So glad this old thread hasn't disappeared

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X