No announcement yet.

Insect ID please = Maybug/cockchafer

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just lol'd reading this thread in the office. Have had some straight looks. Especially when executing the nose-snorting laugh.

Comment

Originally posted by jono83 View Post
      Chafer grubs can be controlled by treating infested areas with an insecticide
      not necessary: birds will dig them up for you. If your lawn is infested and the corvids are digging it up searching for these grubs (and leatherjackets), the easiest thing to do is water the lawn well & lay a tarp down overnight. The grubs will rise to the surface where it's damp & cool. Whip off the tarp and let the birds feast
      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
        not necessary: birds will dig them up for you. If your lawn is infested and the corvids are digging it up searching for these grubs (and leatherjackets), the easiest thing to do is water the lawn well & lay a tarp down overnight. The grubs will rise to the surface where it's damp & cool. Whip off the tarp and let the birds feast
        I agree I don't use pesticides, the info I copied and pasted from the DEFRA website

Comment

... and I put my comments so that people don't think there's only a chemical solution to any problem
          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I have just seen the first May Bug/Cockchafer of 2015!
            Spud found it first and has been dancing around it as it moved across the patio, clearly bemused by it
            Then Ted came along.......................and ate it

How to identify a cockchafer May bug | Natural History Museum
            Last edited by veggiechicken; 10-05-2015, 10:08 PM.

Comment

Snap. Found my first one in the green house yesterday. Just to make you feel better I have a mature ash in the garden and in summer they all fly around it and you can hear them flying around at the top of it in the evenings

Comment

Never seen one and don't want to thank you very much!! And Ted...what can I say, YUK!!
                sigpic

Comment

Seen my first Maybug/cockchafer of 2016

Its just flown into the kitchen and been ejected before Ted ate it, like last year
                  Have you have been visited by a cockchafer this year

Comment

Not yet, but I'd love to! Saw one a couple of years back: awesome!

Comment

I've only ever seen three dead ones in the past so was thrilled to bits to find my first live one on Monday evening when I walked up to the allotment to close the greenhouse - a corker of a female walking across the road outside Hulne Park. I picked her up and put her on top of a nearby wall for safety

Only annoyance was forgetting my camera so I couldn't take a photo!
                      If I'm not on the Grapevine I can usually be found here!....https://www.thecomfreypatch.co.uk/

Comment

There was one on a bush at mums Sunday too.
                        Northern England.

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                          Its just flown into the kitchen and been ejected before Ted ate it, like last year
                          Have you have been visited by a cockchafer this year .
                          Yes, a few nights ago....I really don't like them YUK! I caught mine and did the paper/glass thing and got it outside fast. Stan wasn't a little bit interested, it's not a chicken

Comment

Never even heard of them! Not in a rush to see one though!

Comment

Yes, crashing into the windows at night as usual. Daft creatures!
                              Le Sarramea https://jgsgardening.blogspot.com/

Comment

I've never seen one, but would love to. How big are they it's hard to tell from the picture?
                                Dogs have masters, cats have slaves, and horses are just wonderful

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X