wildlife pond permission needed ????

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wildlife pond permission needed ????

Hi all just started diggind a wildlife pond, because I have a large amount of newts living in a dip that I'm filling in, and my neibour asks " have you had permission from the council, you need to ask because of enviromental laws" is there any truth in this please, has anyone else heard anything like this, many thanks
    Jono

i know your not allowed to disturb a Newts habitat so it may pay just to enquire from the council or a wildlife foundation about it just to cover yourself.You don't want to end up in the soft and smelly stuff for the sake of a phone call or 2

Comment

It depends on what sort of newts, common are OK but great crested have to be dealt with specially. Not that they're rare round here, there's loads of the blighters but apparently over Europe they're considered rare!

Re digging a wildlife pond, assuming it's on your own land and of a normal size then the council will just be confused if you contact them. Why are you filling in the dip anyway? Is it an existing pond?

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Why not make the dip into a pond?

Comment

Originally posted by Alison View Post
          It depends on what sort of newts, common are OK but great crested have to be dealt with specially. Not that they're rare round here, there's loads of the blighters but apparently over Europe they're considered rare!

Re digging a wildlife pond, assuming it's on your own land and of a normal size then the council will just be confused if you contact them. Why are you filling in the dip anyway? Is it an existing pond?
          They are common newts no great crested I have checked and counted them all,15 in total the have only been there a week or so its when we had those high winds and heavy rain the dip appeared in the middle of my potato bed thanks

Comment

Originally posted by rustylady View Post
            Why not make the dip into a pond?
            good idea but it appeared in the middle of my potatoes ?? so it has to go

Comment

Whereabouts are you Jono? A dip suddenly appearing in a potato bed sounds a bit worrying.

Comment

Originally posted by jono83 View Post
                the [newts] have only been there a week or so ... dip appeared in the middle of my potato bed
                So apart from the newt 'problem', you've got a drainage problem.

Common Newt at Animal Corner

They're in the dip to breed, and when it dries up the eggs will die. If it were me (cos I'm soft) I'd be making them a small pond too. You don't need council permission over common newts, or to build a pond. They like fairly shallow water, and there must be vegetation, because they lay their eggs underneath the foliage
                All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                  So apart from the newt 'problem', you've got a drainage problem.

Common Newt at Animal Corner

They're in the dip to breed, and when it dries up the eggs will die. If it were me (cos I'm soft) I'd be making them a small pond too. You don't need council permission over common newts, or to build a pond. They like fairly shallow water, and there must be vegetation, because they lay their eggs underneath the foliage
                  Being a Wiccan, their safety is paramount to my veg, so its operation newt lol. My mate next door has a pond, and kindly let me pinch some "dogweed"? the tiny little green plants that grow on the surface? and that was teeming with little creatures, also let me have half the water from his pond so hopefully everything will be comfy and happy. Pond finished today will post pics tommorrow.

Thanks to everyone for their help and advice

Comment

Interesting to hear you are a Wiccan. Those newts should be in safe hands

Out of interest- please could you put your rough location into your profile??- ta !
                    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Photos of new pond

Well here it is, done in 4 hours, and hopefully It'll be good enough for em, they been staying put for the past 24hrs, and seem to be quite happy but they are a little camera shy lol

Also phoned council and enviroment agency,and the reply from both was "why are you telling us this?"
                      So I'm Guessing my neighbour is talking nonsense!
                      ATB, Jono
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by jono83; 16-05-2012, 11:25 PM.

Comment

Also phoned council and enviroment agency,and the reply from both was "why are you telling us this?"
                        We did tell you that

(why do people ask for advice and then not take it, huh? Huh? *Rolls eyes*
                        *strops off for more coffee*)

Last edited by Two_Sheds; 17-05-2012, 06:51 AM.

Comment

Well here it is
                          Do you have a shallow end, really sloping, so they can easily get in and out? They can't jump like frogs do.
                          As you already probably know, newts spend most of their lives on land, hiding in long grass and leaf litter: I would start planting up the pond edges for shade, and putting in hidey places like half-pots full of leaves

Comment

Do you have a shallow end, really sloping, so they can easily get in and out? They can't jump like frogs do.
                            As you already probably know, newts spend most of their lives on land, hiding in long grass and leaf litter: I would start planting up the pond edges for shade, and putting in hidey places like half-pots full of leaves
                            that I have, and lots of hiding places and pond lillies etc just have to wait for them to grow

Comment

We did tell you that

(why do people ask for advice and then not take it, huh? Huh? *Rolls eyes*
                              *strops off for more coffee*)

I know Iknow lol, but as stormforce said, it was worth phoning just to be on the safe side

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X