Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have you discovered any new creatures in your garden this year?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wood mice - several of them - we think we displaced them when we took down our elderly neighbours old shed a few weeks ago and they've moved back into the shed which has now metamorphosed into a pile of wood ready for burning .

Also have a rather spectacular looking Mistle Thrush visiting daily and a species of vole which has taken up residence in the out building where his nibbs is currently storing the dismembered parts of our Series II Landrover

Reet
    x
    Last edited by reetnproper; 15-06-2011, 01:25 PM.

Comment

We have loads of slow worms at the lottie, loving the warmth of the manure heap. babies and everyfink!!
      Little ol' me

Has just bagged a Lottie!
      Oh and the chickens are taking over my garden!
      FIL and MIL - http://vegblogs.co.uk/chubbly/

Comment

I saw 3 newts at one time in my pond.

Comment

First time for this hummingbird hawk moth
          Attached Files

Comment

Woohoo! - We've just seen our first ever Nuthatch.

Comment

This afternoon under the bird feeders

Attached Files

Comment

A few minutes ago, again under the bird feeders and making a loud 'sniffing' sound (presumably hunting for spilt bird food?)

Attached Files

Comment

This is most probably because I've never paid enough attention before but this year I have a lot of parasitic wasps devouring the aphid invasion on my sweet peas. The brown straw coloured greenfly that have larvae inside them and the ones stuck to leaves with white goo, these are the ones that have already had larvae explode out of their chests like a scene from Alien.

I'm very worryingly beginning to fall in love with them, will snap some pics after work.

Comment

Originally posted by Vagetarian View Post
                    ... will snap some pics after work.
                    Looking forward to that - I've just started paying more attention to the helpful predators on our plants, quite fascinating!

Comment

Well I have a host of wildlife in my new allotment...both good and bad.

I have lots of mice, moles, wasps nest and rabbits on the downside but on the up I have lots of...

Butterflies (not sure on varieities but around 4 different varyities (sp?)
                      Gold Finches
                      Sparrows
                      Dunnocks
                      Frogs
                      Newts

Its a nice site although over the weekend we inherited another pest...thieves broke into our shed and stole our tools
                      Always Helping Others To Help Themselves...

Comment

I should have warned you about my photography skills

Here are the aphids, including those carrying wasp larvae:

Attached Files

Comment

And here are the predators, unfortunately I only saw one wasp and it was a small one. It was very windy when I went out there.

In order of appearance, a ladybird, a hoverfly larvae, some kind of pupa (hoverfly I think) and what looks like a tiny parasitic wasp. I normally see a lot of bigger ones buzzing around.

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by catbasket View Post
                            ... making a loud 'sniffing' sound (presumably hunting for spilt bird food?)
                            [ATTACH=CONFIG]24888[/ATTACH]
                            I was told that noise is only made as part of mating. Heard the noise again last night and on checking a bit more carefully did indeed find two hedgehogs

Comment

I had baby voles on the lotty last Sept (this one's been captured in a teacup), haven't seen any yet this year, only meeces
                              All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I found this little chap on runner beans the other day. I've never seen one before and I believe it's a Birch Shield Beetle which would fit, as the Birch trees are quite close to the runner beans:

He's quite a pretty little bug and, from what I've read, not detremental to my veg at all.

Reet
                                x
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by reetnproper; 16-07-2011, 10:02 AM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X