No announcement yet.

Frogs!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Girl frogs are bigger than the boys. Also care should be taken moving spawn around. There is a virus affecting frogs in the uk which is fatal.

Comment

Originally posted by hailtryfan View Post
      Someone told me yesterday that moving frogspawn was illegal because it risks spreading diseases and invasive diseases. Is this true? I could build the pond and hope that frogs eventually find it but I might have to wait a very long time for my slug swallowers to show up!
      I don't think it's illegal it's just that it's not advisable because you could be transferring diseases from one pond to another. If your friend's pond is close to yours & all the frogs there are healthy then I wouldn't think it would do any harm though. It is illegal to handle/move things such as great crested newts though without a licence.
      Into every life a little rain must fall.

Comment

I haven't seen any of our frogs yet this year but I did hear one the other week, I trimmed a bit of the dead grass in our water feature pot & heard a crumbling froggy croak coming out as I'd obviously disturbed his sleep!
        Last year the pond next door was alive with mating frogs but I haven't seen any there yet or in our little pond so maybe it's a bit too cold around here for getting down to business!

Comment

Haven't seen any this year yet. I remember showing Bean some frogs in the garden last year - he was fascinated.

Looking forward to seeing some soon.

Made a pond on my plot a few years ago now, but don't recall having seen any frogs yet...
          A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

I can't wait to see some frogs! I wanted to get a pond into my garden before now in the hopes of getting some frogspawn, last year saw a suprising amount of frogs in our garden , not sure where they came from though!
            http://ecoprincess.blogspot.com

Comment

Strangely, there are at least 3 frogs in my pond every year - they have a lime green stripe along their back from head to tail - but I only ever get toad spawn! Saw two of the toads yesterday, so hopefully more toads later this year!

Comment

Attracting frogs to control slugs

Hello all,

I have a great veg plot, but it is surrounded by old stone wall where slugs reign supreme, followed by minions of woodlice who I'm sure are prime suspects in the case of the vanishing seedlings.
                I like frogs. I am one myself. Mais oui. Friends say more a toad.
                Are they as good slug hunters though?

So does anyone think that I could attract them by simply having a small waterhole in my small veg patch? I have space, say, for a suitcase.
                You might tell me that a suitcase is hardly the appropriate receptacle for the spawn of my frog to be, in which case I say I have the space of 0.000001 football field. But the suitcase is safer for the frog.

I have various possible items I could use, such as plastic storage containers of various depths, and, weirdly for a non traveller (but less surprisingly for a hoarder), lots of suitcases, but I am worried about the material being inappropriate, or toxic. I can't really afford to buy specialized pond equipment.

My suitcases are mostly old cardboard ones, so they any good?
                Only joking. The water would rust the metal fittings.

Any ideas?
                Z

Comment

My spawn seems to have hatched as there are no mass of jelly in the pond anymore, I'm sure this is earlier than last year

Comment

Trying to work out what I can build that doesn't involve much room or water that the frogs in my garden would like. They always end up under the decking, but had also lived in two pots that I have had to move this year as the grass/wild foot or two got infested by an ants nest and the grass got out of control. I suspect they'll be ok behind the pots and grow bags, but want to put somewhere they'll like somewhere in the garden if I can.

Still not seen any this year.

Comment

Small pond now full to the brim with spawn, looks like it might be a good year for froggies.

Colin
                      Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

I've got frog spawn!!!!!!!
                        Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

Next door's pond was heaving with croaking froggies doing what comes naturally yesterday so we should see some spawn in a couple of weeks, I think they are always a little later around here than further south in the country.

Comment

Originally posted by Zapo View Post
                            Hello all,

I have a great veg plot, but it is surrounded by old stone wall where slugs reign supreme, followed by minions of woodlice who I'm sure are prime suspects in the case of the vanishing seedlings.
                            I like frogs. I am one myself. Mais oui. Friends say more a toad.
                            Are they as good slug hunters though?

So does anyone think that I could attract them by simply having a small waterhole in my small veg patch? I have space, say, for a suitcase.
                            You might tell me that a suitcase is hardly the appropriate receptacle for the spawn of my frog to be, in which case I say I have the space of 0.000001 football field. But the suitcase is safer for the frog.

I have various possible items I could use, such as plastic storage containers of various depths, and, weirdly for a non traveller (but less surprisingly for a hoarder), lots of suitcases, but I am worried about the material being inappropriate, or toxic. I can't really afford to buy specialized pond equipment.

My suitcases are mostly old cardboard ones, so they any good?
                            Only joking. The water would rust the metal fittings.

Any ideas?
                            Z
                            Zapo, you could get away with just sinking a small plastic container in the ground & filling it with water, a few pebbles & maybe a couple of water plants. Even something like an old washing up bowl or baby bath would be fine, if there are frogs elsewhere on the site they'd come onto yours for a paddle!

Comment

I agree with SueA about just using any plastic container and sinking it in the ground and filling it with water. You really could use almost anything then. To help them with homes, make little rock hiding places for them with stacked rocks and possibly as already said.. some pond plant type thing.
                              Look not from the mind, but from the soul. For the life that is coming is already before us, waiting to open up the world. Just look more closely. Find the eyes to see. - Celestine Prophecy 1st insight

Visit my blog: http://wheatleyswheels.blogspot.com

Comment

Oh poor tadpoles. I is a bad momma
                                YouTube - tadpoles, first day of freedom
                                All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X