Frogs!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frogs!

Frogs are back in my pond doing what they do this time of the year....
    "dont look vicar" ooohh errrr!

Happy days - spring is on its way....hmmmmm

We have one that lives in our polytunnel, the other day he surfaced to say hello, that's a sign the Spring is getting nearer for us.

Sometimes he/she (don't know how to tell) disappears, must have froggy friends nearby I think Or perhaps, mole, ratty and Mr Badger come to visit and they all go out, Wind in the Willows style.

(sorry, bit mad today)

Comment

No sign here yet still a tad to cold. Won't be long till I hear 'The First Croaks Of Summer' then its time to really get cracking.

Colin
      Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

I've finally decided to turn my old Butler's sink into an extra watering hole for my frogs, so they can leave my pond which is there home, and pop across to the other side of the plot, for a dirty night out. It will have a few pond iris and platforms for frogs and stuff, to pop in and out.

I kept thinking of using the butler's sink for a mint collection, but I've decided to use at least 1 of my strawberry towers I've made out of half a black bin and then black plastic pots, with the bases cut out. But this year my strawberry towers will be 3 or 4 years old, so I'll be getting rid of the plants after harvest. And as I've already got new strawberry beds already established, so I'll be making use of the towers for other crops or herb beds. The frogs can also pop in and out of these towers, as long as there is shady plants to hide and rest in.

However, I still jump out of my skin, when a frog jumps out from beds, when I haven't seen them first. Makes me laugh and happy to see them though. So I'll have to get down to my plot and see if there much frog activity, now that you've highlighted they are in courting mode!

Comment

Same here Dotty! they make me jump a mile, then I sit there laughing at myself.
          I have to be really careful cutting the grass - takes me ages to check for frogs!
          I also take care raking up the leaves!!! I am such a softy! lucky Mr HF is much the same, so I don't get a hard time over the extra time taken due to checking for the hidden wildlife lol

Comment

I just love all the different sizes and colours. The smallest ones really are cute.

My pond will start to resemble a piranha fest in the next few weeks, legs flying all over the place.
            The cats' valet.

Comment

Here's one minding my Black Cherry tomatoes, he looks a bit tired.
              Attached Files
              I love growing tomatoes.

Comment

First frogs today doing what frogs do at this time of year. Took that as a signal and set my toms and peppers.

Colin

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Great to see some frogs out and about. When I was a kid, you couldn't move for them and now we hardly see any.
                  Real Men Sow - a cheery allotment blog.

Comment

Jono,

How many do you want, from now on at night if I go out into the garden I have to take a torch so I don't tread on them.

Colin

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Potstubsdustbins View Post
                      Jono,

How many do you want, from now on at night if I go out into the garden I have to take a torch so I don't tread on them.

Colin
                      lol.

When I was a kid, it was the same at our house. Mum was forever rushing back in to the house with decapitated frogs from her lawnmower or her digging, trying to save them!

The road was also full of squashed ones. There was a big pond behind our house that ended up drying out, maybe that habitat going caused a local decline.
                      Real Men Sow - a cheery allotment blog.

Comment

I want to create a mini pond with an old butlers sink I've got and stock it with frog spawn. My friend has a pond and always get loads of frog spawn so I was going to nick some of his and set up my own population. Apparently tadpoles eat flake fish food or really small bits of mince meat.

Someone told me yesterday that moving frogspawn was illegal because it risks spreading diseases and invasive diseases. Is this true? I could build the pond and hope that frogs eventually find it but I might have to wait a very long time for my slug swallowers to show up!

Comment

We have frogs but only ever see them a few nights a year, it has to be really warm and wet in the middle of summer, loads of them 20+, I have some photo's somewhere, they come in the open conservatory and garage.

Strangely the conditions have to be just right or they just dont appear.
                          <*}}}>< Jonathan ><{{{*>

Comment

Well we have had a couple of cold nights well below zero so they have all disappeared again.

As to moving frog spawn I don't really know but I was supplying my grand daughters school last year for their project.

Colin

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

My frogs were at it last year but I guess the earth didn't move as we didn't get any taddies out of it. Unless the mega toad that lives in the pond ate them all

Are the girl frogs bigger than the boy frogs?
                              Gill

So long and thanks for all the fish.........

I have a blog http://areafortyone.blogspot.co.uk

I'd rather be a comma than a full stop.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X