elephant moth

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• elephant moth

I've just joined because I've just found an elephants hawk moth caterpillar see here

I was so excited that I phoned our local paper who described it as a deaths head hawk moth, but now it is back in the shade of a fuschia, it's snout has appeared.
    Last edited by islandman; 16-09-2010, 05:00 PM.

Hi Islandman and welcome to the Vine.

I've been fortunate to find one this year - the green version which I have since learnt is the Privet Hawkmoth. See the link here for other comments and links to other peeps blogs

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...lar_51968.html

If you want advice on gardening issues you may find it more useful to include your general area so that it can be properly targetted to your local conditions. You don't have to be precise - I live in Saltdean but Brighton would be just as good.

Comment

Haven't seen one this year but have often seen them in previous years.

Ian

Comment

using flickr

IMGP2017 by kingfisher171, on Flickr

Comment

Hi there- and welcome to the Vine!!

What a fantastic piccie- esp the second one- I've never seen one before!

Whereabouts in the country are you islandman??

I've had to Google what the adult looks like...and I've never seen one of theose either!!
          Last edited by Nicos; 17-09-2010, 02:49 PM.
          "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

this is yours I think?????...

Last edited by Nicos; 17-09-2010, 02:49 PM.
            "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

So, it seems the world see's this moth in two ways, either everyone has got or has seen one, or those who like me have been more than excited over discovering one.

Yes, the moth pic is correct.

As for my location, it is on the south coast, Dorset in fact. Seemingly these elephant head moths are mainly European but dare to venture to the south coast of England. So it being here is not as unusual as first thought.

Elsewhere I'd read that some people hold them captive in containers (with food of course and then when they turn to a chrysalis they are safe, once they emerge as a moth, they are released. I'm wondering if I should do that.

Comment

Elephant Hawk Moth is found throughout most of England, Wales and Ireland. In Scotland they are mainly found in the south and west.

It's still exciting when you see them though, they're pretty exotic looking.

It will pupate in the soil until May when it will emerge as an adult
                All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Islandman,
                  I released My Elephant Hawk Moth this May (2010) after having kept it in a Cricket cage in the shed over winter. I had two in my garden busily munching their way through the willowherb until they were just sticks, it was quite funny watching them because they would eat continuously for 15 mins then sit and digest for a few minutes becoming suitably hungry and start munching with renewed vigour.
                  I wrapped some young willowherb stems in soggy cotton wool for the one that I captured whilst it was in the cage and feeding, it finally burrowed under the feeding dish into the layer of soil (2-3 inches deep) and pupated.
                  I brought it indoors during late april and just waited.
                  Mid May, Tadah! one Elephant Hawk Moth Drying it wings out one morning.
                  I put the open cage outside in the afternoon and it stayed there until, just as it got dusk, It flew off in the blink of an eye, I presumed that that was when it would go, and was hoping to catch it on film if it stirred, but nope! Too fast.

I've got some pics of it drying out but dont know how to get them on to this reply.

Comment

Hey hey,
                    Here you go,,
                    Attached Files

Comment

Looks more like a crocodile than an elephant, do you agree? Very lovely though.

Comment

Originally posted by Polly Fouracre View Post
                        It's the caterpillar that looks like an elephant.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Dekzion View Post
                          Islandman,
                          I released My Elephant Hawk Moth this May (2010) after having kept it in a Cricket cage in the shed over winter. I had two in my garden busily munching their way through the willowherb until they were just sticks, it was quite funny watching them because they would eat continuously for 15 mins then sit and digest for a few minutes becoming suitably hungry and start munching with renewed vigour.
                          I wrapped some young willowherb stems in soggy cotton wool for the one that I captured whilst it was in the cage and feeding, it finally burrowed under the feeding dish into the layer of soil (2-3 inches deep) and pupated.
                          I brought it indoors during late april and just waited.
                          Mid May, Tadah! one Elephant Hawk Moth Drying it wings out one morning.
                          I put the open cage outside in the afternoon and it stayed there until, just as it got dusk, It flew off in the blink of an eye, I presumed that that was when it would go, and was hoping to catch it on film if it stirred, but nope!
                          Too fast.
                          I've got some pics of it drying out but dont know how to get them on to this reply.
                          How interesting. I noticed last evening that it had moved away from lush growth of fuschia and was on an old dead twig. If it is still there today, I might capture it and overwinter in the shed, what do you think?

Comment

I dont think that it would hurt it
                            Mine only had a bit of a munch on the willow herb that I provided and then seemed to want to get away for a day or so until it resigned itself to borrowing in the soil in the cage.
                            At least it didnt suffer being frozen solid like it might have done in the ground outside.

Comment

Originally posted by Polly Fouracre View Post
                              Not at its best there polly, that was taken whilst it was pumping its wings up, about 30 mins after it hatched.
                              Then it looked Exactly the same as nicos right down to the small white mark on each wing.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X