Grass snake alert!!!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grass snake alert!!!

OH came in from shifting the composted turves to show me some grass snake eggs ( about 40 of them!)

OK- so I know they're not poisonous...but then he called me over to show me a baby one about 6" long!!!!

I've just come in to check on 'images'- just to make sure our ID is correct before releasing it- so I thought I'd let you know!!!
    ( fingers crossed though that there aren't 40 of them in my rock pile!!)

I'd have thought it was a bit early- I thought the eggs hatched in September- so presumably this one has been hibernating in anmongst the turves!
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Ooh fun!
    I'm going to be putting some "habitat" in the corners of my plot so hopefully I'll have my own little wildlife reserve too.
    I've still never seen any of our native snakes (and so, grass snakes) in the wild which I think is kinda sad. I'd love to.

Comment

Just moved some stones in the garden in Cyprus and found a big Tarantula!!!!!!! One bit of wildlife I could do without
      Updated my blog on 13 January

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra.../blogs/stella/

Comment

Originally posted by stella View Post
        Just moved some stones in the garden in Cyprus and found a big Tarantula!!!!!!! One bit of wildlife I could do without
        I never did like gardening in Spain - didn't mind the snakes so much, it was the black widows, scorpions, and mainly ticks that made me a tad nervous. So nice to garden an English garden.
        Last edited by lizzylemon; 12-04-2010, 08:28 PM.

Comment

Coooooo - they're very cool aren't they (once you know they're jus grass snakes of course) My little bro was heavily involved with a conservation project and part of it was to encourage grass snakes back. He took me there to show me a recent nest of them and I was amazed at how snake like they looked!!!

Comment

Originally posted by stella View Post
            Just moved some stones in the garden in Cyprus and found a big Tarantula!!
            You're so multicultural !
            Gardens in Blighty, Cyprus and Italy! How do you manage it all?
            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I couldn't find an adder thread, so I'll tack today's find onto this one if that's OK
              All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X