No announcement yet.

Seen any slugs yet?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just having our first frost free week since before Christmas: so no slugs until I turn over stones...

Comment

None yet- but I did find quite a few little worms
      "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Not yet. In the past I was plagued with slugs and snails, this has now completely changed since having a wildlife pond. Frogs do a wonderful job!

Comment

Seen a few when moving paving slabs and the likes around. They've all met a smeary end though.

Comment

I found around 15 in a tub today! Great big fat sicky yellow colour. I actually felt ill looking at them!! They didn't look like the average slug I find in the garden! Shame I don't have a bird tabel to stick them on, although, I think most might have turned their noses up at these horrible things today!

Comment

Few days ago i found some nestled in their shells underneath the overgrown grass along the borders. I considered using a biodynamic approach in expelling these pests. Maybe in the weeks ahead i'll get around to doing it meanwhile i'm considering a greenhouse.
              Don't row, just plough now and thank the cow and sow .

Comment

We have a blackbird nesting in our privet hedge so I am hoping that she and her mate will get rid of them for us.

She has been flying in there with tons of twigs, leaves etc and he has been making the most of the mealworms I have been putting in a large tray of water for them.

I am not well up on wildlife.

As they are still making the nest there are no chicks to feed but he is eating about 20+ mealworms a day, what the eck is he doing with all of those?

Do they store them in the nest whilst building it?

Sorry for being a bit thick.

Also, is it right that if they nest in your garden they will come back year after year, or do blackbirds visit all of the time?
                Last edited by 21again; 25-03-2010, 08:37 PM.
                Hi. Hi. We've removed your signature. If you have any issues with this, please contact one of the Moderators.

Comment

21 again, I think you'll find that your Blackbirds are truly enjoying your Hospitality. They will be eating them all themselves right now, and I bet they're thinking that if they have lots and lots of babies, that it's going to cost you a right royal fortune in mealworms for them all! I can almost guarantee you that, you being 'The Hostess with The Mostess', they're bound to come back to nest in your garden on an annual basis.X

Comment

Seen quite a few big ones around the rhubarb.

Steven
                    http://www.geocities.com/nerobot/Bir...shingThumb.jpg

Comment

I found lots this morning on the bird table hiding under their water dish, yuk.
                      Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Originally posted by wellie View Post
                        21 again, I think you'll find that your Blackbirds are truly enjoying your Hospitality. They will be eating them all themselves right now, and I bet they're thinking that if they have lots and lots of babies, that it's going to cost you a right royal fortune in mealworms for them all! I can almost guarantee you that, you being 'The Hostess with The Mostess', they're bound to come back to nest in your garden on an annual basis.X
                        Thanks Wellie!

I have only seen the male eating the worms, the female has been eating the seeds.

Could the male be feeding his mate the worms when they are going into the hedge to the nest?
                        Hi. Hi. We've removed your signature. If you have any issues with this, please contact one of the Moderators.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X