bird house gourds

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bird house gourds

I have seen on-line photos of really long necked gourds hollowed out and hung up in the garden for birds to nest in. I've googled for them and in the UK the longest I can find are those swan necked ones. Can anyone recommend where i can get other varieties of suitable seeds and has anyone tried this?
    Thanks for any advice.

I am afraid I don't know what type of gourd to use or what to recommend but, having read your post I've Googled bird house gourds it and it is really interesting. I never imagined you could do such a thing (mine are usually just left as decoration in the garden)
    Thank you, I'll certainly be giving it try.
    A garden is a lovesome thing, God wot! (Thomas Edward Brown)

Comment

Seeds by size sell the birdhouse gourd seeds -listed in the large gourd section - but I can't for the life of me figure out how to order!
      Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

In error I bought some decorative gourds from Lidl @ 29p per pack. Don't know if these would be any good for what you are looking for thought. May be worth a look. Check out the "Top Tips" section "Lidl Seeds".
        sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
        --------------------------------------------------------------------
        Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
        -------------------------------------------------------------------
        Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
        -----------------------------------------------------------
        KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Originally posted by scarey55 View Post
          I am afraid I don't know what type of gourd to use or what to recommend but, having read your post I've Googled bird house gourds it and it is really interesting. I never imagined you could do such a thing (mine are usually just left as decoration in the garden)
          Thank you, I'll certainly be giving it try.
          -----------------------------------------------------------
          I have found an interesting site which has lots of info on different types of gourd and some helpful diagrams showing the different shapes. Unfortunately it is in the US but interesting anyway.
          They seem to be into gourds in a big way in the US.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeanied View Post
            Seeds by size sell the birdhouse gourd seeds -listed in the large gourd section - but I can't for the life of me figure out how to order!
            Thanks Jeannie D for the info. That might be the place to go.

Comment

Thanks Big Malley - I'll check it out.

Comment

Re gourds at seeds-by-size as suggested by Jeannied.

Wow !! Certainly a HUGE selection. It took a bit of finding and I shall have to do some research. I will try not to get carried away !! One good thing about
                S by S you can buy small numbers. Thanks Jeannied.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X