No announcement yet.

Unusual visitors to the bird table?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great pic, Lettucegrow - same one as your avatar? Cute kitty! Mine sits under the bird feeder and the goldfinches ping her on the head with the seeds.
    Last edited by Jeanied; 03-01-2010, 06:39 PM.
    Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

Yes,same moggy- the lord and master of our abode!
      Gardening forever- housework whenever

Comment

We had a hen Siskin this afternoon she was eating seeds from a snow cleared bit of ground.
        Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Originally posted by valmarg View Post
          It's quite common to get blackbirds with white patches on them. We currently have one with a completely white head. Looks quite strange. You think the bird has a large piece of bread in its beak, then realise its 'snowcap'.

valmarg
          That's really interesting. I've seen him quite a bit over the Christmas break, and he's actually got quite a lot of white all over. The other Blackbirds keep dive-bombing him, maybe because they know he's 'different'.

Comment

Everyone's been down today. Bluetits, sparrows, blackbirds, starlings, the robin, collared doves and Jenny Wren.

Comment

Im geting ring necked parakeets and alexandraparakeets in london. They com in huge flocks in the morning and just attack bird tables, they are very pretty.
              Dont judge a plant by it's pot.

Comment

This morning we've had a Bullfinch and a pair of Siskins
                Location....East Midlands.

Comment

THREE Bullfinches today! 2 males and a female.
                  First Fieldfare too, although OH now tells me he saw one the other day but didn't know what it was!
                  He got so excited he's scared everything off setting up the camera and tripod!
                  Life is too short for drama & petty things!
                  So laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly!

Comment

Snap, Comfreyfan - just noticed some very large, grey headed thrushes scoffing the crab apples on the tree - had to reach for the bird book to find they are fieldfares! Apparently the distinguishing mark is the white streak on the side of the chest in front of the wing.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Jeanied; 07-01-2010, 03:06 PM.
                    Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

WE get the usual mob here, tits, finches, robins, Pip the pheasant, blackbirds. The crows have worked out they can bash the seed feeder and get food out now - not good as they'll go through it at a right rate! Have got a couple of bull finches hanging out at the back garden feeder (don't look out those windows as much as the front) and saw a gold crest just up the road this morning. Get red squirrels and woodpeckers too. So quite a varied bunch really!

Comment

Great photos Jeanied - love the bonus goldfinch on the first one!
                        I've been trying to get a photo today, but they're just a bit camouflaged when they're hopping in and out of the shrubs!
                        Life is too short for drama & petty things!
                        So laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly!

Comment

Feed the birds,Łtoo much a bag

Anyone know a source of free wild bird food Mine are bankrupting me!!We so far manage: 6 pairs of robins, numerous tits, 3 pairs of blackbirds, mistle thrushes, jays, rooks, woodpigeon (yes, I am feeding them, they will go very nicely with some leeks and carrots later on), dunnocks, both sorts of woodpeckers, ravens, and yesterday, I was within 4' of a buzzard that came down for a look! Will try and post some pics in a few days

Comment

Torreya...sounds like you live in a lovely area! ( where abouts are you??)

Try growing a few sunflowers next year if you have room ( having said that, the mice nicked my seeds from the lottie flowers before they were ripe enough to harvest!!!
                            "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

In my very small garden i have had visits from
                              sparrows, blackbirds, thrushes (2 of - fantastic) starlings, robins, dunnocks, blue tits, great tits, coal tits, wrens, reed buntings, chaffinches, bullfinches, greenfinches, goldfinches, gold crest, blackcaps, pied wagtails, collard doves, pigeons,fieldfare, even a pheasant yesterday morning!!! this really is all in a very small area surrounded by houses!
                              Lovely to see so many birds, I have been counting the types for about 8 years now, and still get an average of 12 different types in a day.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X