Unusual visitors to the bird table?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unusual visitors to the bird table?

The bad weather has brought some new visitors to our bird table, and the small patch I cleared around it.

So far we've had a cock pheasant, a yellowhammer and a grey wagtail trying to find breakfast today, as well as the usual suspects.

Who's seen other unusual visitors?
    Growing in the Garden of England

We've had Redwings for the last couple of weeks. They usually turn up to warn us there's a cold blast on the way!
    Life is too short for drama & petty things!
    So laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly!

Comment

I think I've got a pied male blackbird. I can't identify him as anything else. His size and shape are very 'blackbird', but he's got a completely white rump - not like he's lost feathers in a scrap, but totally white. I've never seen him in the garden before, until the recent snow last week.

Comment

How cool!

We've got the usual menagerie, chaffinches, goldfinches and tits gallore.
        Last edited by Llamas; 23-12-2009, 02:20 PM.
        The Impulsive Gardener

www.theimpulsivegardener.com

Chelsea Uribe Garden Design www.chelseauribe.com

Comment

We've not had anything unusual but we did have a little flock of 6 goldfinches the other day which is quite unusual for here.
          Into every life a little rain must fall.

Comment

You can register your garden and tell them what you are doing for wildlife. There are tips and you can earn "awards" for what you are doing to help wildlife. (I'm up to Gold standard, the highest not surprisingly is GREEN). They have a target of 10,000 gardens by June 2010 and so far there are 967 members with a total of 316.79 hectares registered.

Comment

We had our first Fieldfare the other day, took me ages to work out what it was - awesome

Comment

Originally posted by Pumpkin Becki View Post
                I think I've got a pied male blackbird. I can't identify him as anything else. His size and shape are very 'blackbird', but he's got a completely white rump - not like he's lost feathers in a scrap, but totally white. I've never seen him in the garden before, until the recent snow last week.
                It's quite common to get blackbirds with white patches on them. We currently have one with a completely white head. Looks quite strange. You think the bird has a large piece of bread in its beak, then realise its 'snowcap'.

valmarg

Comment

A pair of bullfinches have just turned up - with the sun shining on him Mr Bullfinch looks splendid! This is the third year runnning a pair have visited. They take turns feeding, one seems to keep watch while one feeds, then they swap!
                  Life is too short for drama & petty things!
                  So laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly!

Comment

Blackcap and Blue Jay in my garden! The latter much to the annoyance of the local Magpies who in turn are sending my cat crazy with their chatter.
                    Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

We have our resident Robin but we now have 4 one of them is a spotted Robin yellow spots on the breast about as big as cotton bud dabs and on back and wings most unusual it is quite tame other than that the normal rabble....jacob
                      What lies behind us,And what lies before us,Are tiny matters compared to what lies Within us ...
                      Ralph Waide Emmerson

Comment

Was loading the dishwasher, happened to look out the front kitchen window, and there was a cock pheasant walking around my post box.
                        I hear them quite often in the hedges around here, but never had one in the garden before.
                        Where's my gun??
                        Bob Leponge
                        Life's disappointments are so much harder to take if you don't know any swear words.

Comment

I will get told off for showing off again, we have a small group (4 or sometimes 5) ring necked parakeets that visit, they only stay for about 5 mins then fly off making a real racket. fantastic flourescent green colouring but they all but disappear when they get into a tree in leaf!
                          Kernow rag nevra

Some people feel the rain, others just get wet.
                          Bob Dylan

Comment

Watch out Kernowyon - that there group of parakeets are about to become a flock! One of our fellow allotmenteers is boasting that he started it all - by releasing the original batch in the '70s. They are now spreading across the greater London area and clearly have reached parts of the Home Counties. Only prob is that there is talk of a cull now . Personally I like them, but I understand that they are a nuisance to some crops and are overtaking the habitats of some native birds.
                            Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

I don't know if this counts but it's quite an unusual find on a bird table, lesser spotted moggy.Sorry all, couldn't resist.
                              Attached Files
                              Gardening forever- housework whenever

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X