Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OMG!!! I think we hve a long eared bat!!!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have two bat boxes, someone very rightly pointed out that if they become used i can not move them!!! not that I would want to. I really hope they get used this year. one has been up for two summers now!
    I saw ours fly in beside the chimney - where it joins the slates. lets hope it comes back this year.

Comment

Bat Boxes are high on the "to make" list when I finally get my workshop set up.
      I might be more inclined to stick them in the tree though, putting them on the house has potential trouble on the "illegal to disturb" issue if it ever comes to extending the house in some way.

I'm turning into such a hippy! No plastic, bat boxes, organic GYO and all that jazz. What have I become!?!?!?

Comment

You are becoming organic, Organic!

It isn't illegal to move a bat box. It is only illegal to disturb a roost. If the bat box is empty you can take it down if you want to. Bats don't roost in just one place all year. They have different roosts for different purposes.
        Most of the roosts seen in summer with loads of bats are maternity roosts, full of mums and babies.
        Last edited by Jeanied; 25-03-2010, 02:30 PM.
        Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

You've got a point there, Jeanied. I hadn't considered the temporary nature of roosts.

"Organic" is probably right too. Just as long as I don't start Wearing tie-dye things are OK. Haha.

Comment

Have just read this thread - you are Soooooooooo lucky to have a long-eared bat. Great photo. We have pipistrelles in the wood next to where I live but no Long-eared. Am green with envy.........
            Forbidden Fruits make many Jams.

Comment

A Countryside Ranger friend of mine who is a member of the local Bat Trust group (keeps an eye on known roosts, helps relocate them if necessary) says that they tend to move around according to temperature, so if you put up one roost box on a tree, you are as well off putting up four, so that whatever direction the weather/sun is coming from, they will be able to get comfortable. The most important thing for them though is a supply of water like a river or pond, as they need this nearby to guarantee enough food.
              As far as checking for leaks in the church roof is concerned Nicos, bats are the ideal early warning system. Well, maybe I am biased. But their droppings only have a smell when wet, and are not wet naturally, so if you suddenly get a horrible smell, you know instantly that you have a leak in the roof - none of this gradually rotting timber rafters malarkey that would cost a fortune !
              (And, their poo is a really high nitrogen feed that does well in the garden...)
              There's no point reading history if you don't use the lessons it teaches.

Head-hunted member of the Nutter's Club - can I get my cranium back please ?

Comment

Your bat is gorgeous Nicos!
                Going to start looking out to see if the pipistrelles have woken up around here, but I bet they haven't bothered yet because of the cold winter!
                Into every life a little rain must fall.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X