Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OMG!!! I think we hve a long eared bat!!!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He must be roosting somewhere else during the day - they tend not to fly in daylight unless there is an emergency. So he won't be out for lunch - that happens after dark!
    Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

Well...he's been there for the past 4 hrs!!!....good lad!
      "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

What a lovely picture! We have seen a few (probably pips) flying round our garden, will have to make a cpl of bat boxes

Comment

Originally posted by MrsC View Post
          What a lovely picture! We have seen a few (probably pips) flying round our garden, will have to make a cpl of bat boxes
          Here is a batbox plan - this one is good because it explains you have to make slight grooves in the internal surfaces for the bats to cling on to (and to hang upside down from) - the wood must not be treated with chemicals as some of them are poisonous. Siting is an important consideration so do read up on it. Otherwise it is as easy as making a bird box!
          An article on making and siting bat boxes.

Comment

Wow Jealous! My photo of a pip and Jeanied's information have turned me into an avid bat fan!

Comment

Well he's still here on and off

Will try and get another piccie- but don't have a decent telephoto on my camera

I'm feeling very protective now! We do have a batbox in the garden- N/E facing and about 15ft high...might be worth relocating it????

Comment

Hi Nicos - racking my brains on this one - I have to say I have a funny feeling that longeared bats prefer ... roof spaces!! They like a bit of room to manoevre. The only way to tell where they are is to get a bat detector - mine is like this one.
                Bat Detectors - Bat Conservation Trust
                Worth a look around!

Comment

Ha!..well- I didn't say anything earlier- but my daughter has a bat detector back in the UK...not much use out here!!!

I can clearly see this one has huge ears- and if you whistle and squeak at a high pitch it moves around a bit

Comment

* chuckle * I bet he's lonely there and thinks there is either food or company when you squeak!

Comment

Nicos have your French neighbours seen & heard you standing in a barn squeaking & whistling? They'll think it's some weird British custom!
                      We have pipistrelles which fly around the garden but I've no idea where they roost, I'd love to put up some bat boxes but I don't think we've got anywhere really suitable for them, the front of the house is a bit busy & noisy & the back faces South so I think it would be too hot for them.
                      Into every life a little rain must fall.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeanied View Post
                        * chuckle * I bet he's lonely there and thinks there is either food or company when you squeak!

So long as he doesn't mistake me for a girlie long eared bat and comes and gives me a love bite on the neck!!!

Last edited by Nicos; 13-10-2009, 12:42 PM.

Comment

We knew we had bats in our area here in Wareham but could never see any coming from anywhere. After a BIG stormy, windy and wet night Louise (the missus and bat nutter), found a long eared bat dead on the lawn. Said bat has now been pickled in 10% formal solution. And, now we know what bats we hahve. I also have a much happier wife who wanders around outside at dusk bat hunting..............

Comment

Having not seen our 'bat boy' since the frosts a week ago- he's suddenly appeared- esp for me for Halloween!!!...good boy!

Interestingly he's always having his snooze withing roughly the same square meter!!

Comment

My bat has returned!!!!

Yey- flying round the wine cellar a few minutes ago!!

I've asked if Jeanied can help me post my piccie ( fingers crossed!!!)

well done that lad ...-14C has been a really cold winter for us all!

Comment

Nicos just sent me this picture - the bat is back!!! Yay!
                                He's so cute in an ugly sort of way!
                                Attached Files

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X