Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lesley81, any chance in getting your photobucket account unlocked please?
    Riddlesdown (S Croydon)

Comment

• Yesterday this blackbird was in my garden but it doesn’t have a yellow beak & it looks like a male because it’s black,maybe it’s from a colder country & it’s come over here? The male English blackbird here chases the starlings away,this blackbird was sat there for over ten minutes eating & the starlings were going right up to him & he didn’t mind them at all

Click image for larger version

Name:	E16C63E0-2100-4A20-9B92-598A65004C40.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	117.9 KB
ID:	2376622 Click image for larger version

Name:	506414EF-444A-49A0-8A73-8B4614BA06CD.jpg
Size:	163.9 KB
ID:	2376623 Click image for larger version

Name:	79B3E1BD-ADF7-4F97-A7BF-50746F1F6BE8.jpg
Size:	134.9 KB
ID:	2376626 Click image for larger version

Name:	4C5FFDAF-F3B1-4737-BB2F-E9FDC54D46A7.jpg
Size:	138.5 KB
ID:	2376624 Click image for larger version

Name:	1B98D276-0B19-434B-AA85-8E71293463AC.jpg
Size:	136.4 KB
ID:	2376625

Comment

• Originally posted by Jungle Jane View Post
        Yesterday this blackbird was in my garden but it doesn’t have a yellow beak & it looks like a male because it’s black,maybe it’s from a colder country & it’s come over here?

It is more likely just age, male blackbirds often have brown/black bills in their first year, only going yellow later, I have read different explanations, mostly to do with sexual maturity for breeding, females picking yellow to breed with. Interestingly diet can play a role between yellow and orange bills, a high diet of things like rowan berries can make a yellow bill bright orange.
        Last edited by Greenleaves; 27-02-2018, 09:31 AM. Reason: fixed quote

Comment

• Thanks Alex it’ll be nice if it is a youngster I’ve seen both parents,although not on the same day. I thought if it was theirs they’d all hang around together like a family outing

Comment

• Originally posted by Jungle Jane View Post
            Thanks Alex it’ll be nice if it is a youngster I’ve seen both parents,although not on the same day. I thought if it was theirs they’d all hang around together like a family outing
            i'd say more like a family wedding

Comment

• Spot the bee

Name:	IMG_0091.jpg
Size:	21.8 KB
ID:	2376643

This is from the second week in March last year. I doubt if we will have blossoms like that this year at that time.

Comment

• visitor in the snow, the meal worms ran out and he kept giving me the evil eye until I refilled them, about 18 inches of snow so far

Name:	robin.JPG
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	2376656

Comment

• Sorry about the picture quality, but I've not seen these guys in my garden before today. They are taking a great interest in the pyracantha berries. My best guess from my bird book is that they are fieldfares. Can anyone confirm / correct?

Name:	IMG_0625 birds on pyracantha.jpg
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	2376659
                  My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
                  Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

• yep fieldfare, the grey hood and the eye markings are the give away

Comment

• Not the greatest of pictures but the first red squirrel I have seen in the wild

Name:	20180301_211542_resized.jpg
Size:	227.8 KB
ID:	2376661

Comment

• Originally posted by Martin H View Post
                        Sorry about the picture quality, but I've not seen these guys in my garden before today. They are taking a great interest in the pyracantha berries. My best guess from my bird book is that they are fieldfares. Can anyone confirm / correct?
                        ]
                        Yes they are! We have some Redwings in the garden today that are of the same family. We don’t see them that often.

Name:	DE828B6C-AFBB-4CDA-8EE8-1205F16A79E8.jpeg
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	2376666

#...and the last time we had them, I think I posted on here - they stripped the berries off my two huge pyracanthas!
                        Last edited by Scarlet; 02-03-2018, 04:46 PM.

Comment

• Parakeets in snow

Rather incongruous. There are six. I've seen seen ten but they never wait for the camera.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/103667.../shares/654mwY
                          Riddlesdown (S Croydon)

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0873-540x960r.JPG
Size:	196.8 KB
ID:	2376679

Just seen this chap, never seen one in our garden before today, hopefully they'll stick around.

Comment

• most birds are territorial to varying degrees some flock together others remain pretty solitary, obviously the weather and available food play havoc with that, blackbirds typically have a territory of up to an acre.

at one point this morning I had 11 blackbirds in my tiny but well fed front garden, not to mention a mistle thrush, several crows and robins and chaffinches and nuthatches and countless assorted tits.

hitchcock would have been proud.Click image for larger version

Name:	2018_03040004.JPG
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	2376698Click image for larger version

Name:	2018_03040005.JPG
Size:	30.5 KB
ID:	2376699

Comment

• Nice Burnie , i love it when a few Red Kites pass by here in the spring, one of those would blow me away

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X