Ladybird activity map thingy

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ladybird activity map thingy

I can't remember what it's called exactly - it's not a database, but there was a website where you could "log" ladybird activity. Types, numbers etc etc.

Tried a search but can't find anything - anyone remember what it's called/ where it is?

The reason I ask is that I just spotted a black ladybird with red spots on the office window. Set me thinking.

Many ta's
    A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Was it not part of the BBC nature watch about 2 years ago.

You could enter the location and date and see the spread on a UK map.

Comment

I know there was a map thing for the Harlequin ladybirds Wayne, if you search for that you might have more luck.

Comment

I just found a black ladybird too. I think it was a pine ladybird
        Last edited by Two_Sheds; 29-06-2009, 03:38 PM.
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Is it me or are there a lot more about all of a sudden ?

Comment

Is this any good? Harlequin Ladybird Survey - home
            I you'st to have a handle on the world .. but it BROKE!!

Comment

Meant to ask.. why are they called Ladybirds? Is a male Ladybird a Gentleman Bird?
              I you'st to have a handle on the world .. but it BROKE!!

Comment

Originally posted by terrier View Post
                Aye, that's the puppeh! Cheers dude. Looks like it's just 'arlequins they're after anyway.

Oh well.
                A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

Hiya,
                  the official ladybird mapping can be found here and has interactive and all kind of other bits and pieces... but you cannot submit....
                  NBN Gateway - Search Results

Mike Majerus's page (the worlds expert who died in January....) is here with some good links off it... University of Cambridge, Department of Genetics (I knew Mike as I was in the dept for many years). it does mention there that they ran the survey but now collaborate with the Biol. Rec. Centre Coccinellidae Distribution Mapping Scheme.

The national scheme to which youu ca submit findings is to be found here: UK Ladybird Survey - Recording

More regional submision pages are here...
                  London/Essex survey is here: Paul Mabbott Wildlife: Ladybirds, ground beetles and other wildlife in woods, fields and gardens London and Essex
                  North survey
                  North of England (Leics and upwards) can be found here.... Ladybird survey in the north of England

hope this helps???
                  p17B
                  "You can lead a horticulture but you can't make her think" - Dorothy Parker

Comment

and somewhat on topic today.....BBC NEWS | Science & Environment | Ladybird 'risk to 1,000 species'
                    "You can lead a horticulture but you can't make her think" - Dorothy Parker

Comment

That's an interesting article Plot17B. I haven't actually seen many Harlequins this year, last year they were all over our front hedge - it was a bit biblical!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X