Bees

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bees

Today we saw the first bee of the year. About the size of a fifty pence piece.
    Will be sowing some wild flowers later in the year to encourage them back into the garden.

Has anyone else seen any bees?
    http://herbie-veggiepatch.blogspot.com

Updated 23rd February 2009

Hi,
    Sounds like you saw a bumble if that big? My honey bees were out in the hundreds on Saturday, which was a glorious day. And apparently they've been out foraging for a week or so. At least 4 diff pollens on the sacks which is great to see so early in season. Any other bee activity out there?
    P17B
    "You can lead a horticulture but you can't make her think" - Dorothy Parker

Comment

Hi Guys......
      My Girls were also out, what a delight to behold! a lovely busy hive, looked great and sounded great, loads of pollen being collected. Happy Headfry - very very happy!

Comment

My Girls were flying as well and were also out a couple of days last weeks, unfortunatelyone of my mates hives has died off as was suspected.
        It had nosema towards the end of summer and despite giving medication it obviously wasnt in time as the queen was a weak layer and therewerent enough bees going into winter, I checked the hive last week and there is nothing but dead bees.
        I have sealed the entrance to stop the other colonies robbing as they were treated succesfully until we destroy the frames and probably the hive as well seing as it is an old one that has seen better days.

On the same note are you peeps aware the fumidil B may be about to be banned.
        Here is the email I got from Thornes:

Dear Beekeeper

Fumidil B was withdrawn from most European countries several years ago. The supply within the UK has been causing concern for some time. On Thursday 26th February, the Committee on Mutagenicity will meet to decide the future of this product and will advise the Veterinary Medicines Directorate.

We understand there could be a number of decisions One is that the product must be withdrawn immediately. If that is the case, we cannot sell Fumidil B after next Thursday. The manufacturers, understandably, will not be making any more of this product until the committee have made their decision. So, even if the license is renewed, supply could be a problem for the remainder of 2009.

We do have stock at the moment with an expiry date of October 2010. You may wish to purchase some before Thursday to be sure of acquiring it.

Beware Greeks bearing gifts, or have you already got a wooden horse?... hehe.

Comment

Hi
          I saw a red admiral butterfly out on Saturday

Comment

Hi, Had heard that Fumidil was rumoured to be no more but this is the first concrete info.

Nosema is a nasty thing but if endemic resistance is being built up then it does make sense to pull it back a little. (just like our GPs reining in the antibiotic use and it's been a positive against bacterial resistance).(got my microbiologist head back on!). At least Thymol is available. And it seems to be good and effective. Googling and searching gave me this link
            ScientificBeekeeping.com - The "Nosema Twins" - Part 5 Alternative Treatments

Also on Fumidil B - Page 2 - Beekeeping Forum is a great piece of research which is promising.

p.s. sorry for hijacking thread Herbie!
            P17B
            "You can lead a horticulture but you can't make her think" - Dorothy Parker

Comment

Originally posted by Plot17B View Post
              p.s. sorry for hijacking thread Herbie!
              P17B
              Oh yes, Im sorry as well.

Beware Greeks bearing gifts, or have you already got a wooden horse?... hehe.

Comment

Saw the first bees in my garden in recent days - honey bees were by far the most numerous and they are very interested in our Helleborus (more so than our spring bulbs).
                Since Helleborus are some of the few winter-flowering plants, we'll be adding more as soon as possible - especially as they're very popular with the bees.
                We like to encourage the bees - to pollinate our fruit trees as they come into flower during the next few months.

Comment

Originally posted by Herbie View Post
                  Today we saw the first bee of the year. About the size of a fifty pence piece.
                  That will be a bumblebee queen - they emerge from hibernation at this time of year and start looking for new nesting sites. The workers and drones (and old queens) all die in the autumn, leaving the young pregnant queens to take over in the following year.

I love to watch them searching - they hover just above the ground, throwing up dust like tiny helicopters
                  Last edited by Eyren; 24-02-2009, 04:39 PM.

Comment

FB- Hellebores are a brilliant plant for bees! Plenty of pollen. Went to the Hellebore day at Wisley a few weeks back where a Gentleman grower of hellebores gave a short talk. He told us of the virtues of the hellebore for all our bees.
                    He too was a bee keeper so had a greater understanding of the bees needs!
                    I am also growing more hellebores this year

Comment

Originally posted by Headfry View Post
                      FB- Hellebores are a brilliant plant for bees! Plenty of pollen. Went to the Hellebore day at Wisley a few weeks back where a Gentleman grower of hellebores gave a short talk. He told us of the virtues of the hellebore for all our bees.
                      He too was a bee keeper so had a greater understanding of the bees needs!
                      I am also growing more hellebores this year
                      The local cats have scratched the buds off mine

Comment

Originally posted by crichmond View Post
                        Oh yes, Im sorry as well.
                        No problem guys, its nice to read the threads and learn something new
                        I'm no bee keeper but signed up to a save the bees campaign so found your comments very interesting.
                        http://herbie-veggiepatch.blogspot.com

Updated 23rd February 2009

Comment

Me too! Big fat bumbley on my hellebore flowers last week. Cheered me up no end seeing it

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X